Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Gun storage law change and security arrangement question.

Gun storage law change and security arrangement question.

Hey all, I was reading a forum somewhere about gun safes and someone mentioned that the law regarding the thickness of the safe was about to change?
    Can anyone confirm or deny this, if so shouldn't places like gun city stop selling the 2mm safes?

Also, when a vetting officer comes to inspect my security arrangements I will have my new safe fixed to the structure of the house on 2 sides with 8 10mm coach screws but the bottom of the safe will be sitting on a wooden platform because the closet its going in has a board across the bottom that stops the door opening all the way.

Also the safe has an internal lock box, I assume that this is for storing bolts or ammo but shouldn't I get a separate small safe for my ammo so that my rifles, ammo and bolts are all separate?

I live in a flat with several other people, none of whom have any criminal convictions, will this living arrangement have any impact on the likely hood of my security arrangements getting the ok?

Any clarification is much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Strider B View Post
    "fixed to the structure of the house on 2 sides with 8 10mm coach screws"
    Sounds like plenty to me

Also the safe has an internal lock box, I assume that this is for storing bolts or ammo but shouldn't I get a separate small safe for my ammo so that my rifles, ammo and bolts are all separate?
    If you want, but you don't have to.

And there's no law saying you need to use a safe, is there? Otherwise simple gun racks would be out of the question...

Sounds like your set up will be fine anyway.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Current wording is to "prevent an opportunist thief" if I recall correctly. Personally, I don't believe this is enough.......
    Spudattack and Tommy like this.

Yeah I reckon there's no reason why you should want to skimp on security.
    Boulderman likes this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

(a)keeping on the holder’s premises—
    (i)a lockable cabinet, container, or receptacle of stout construction in which firearms may be stored; or
    (ii)a lockable steel and concrete strongroom in which firearms may be stored; or
    (iii)a display cabinet or rack in which firearms may be immobilised and locked so that none of them may be fired; and

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    Yeah I reckon there's no reason why you should want to skimp on security.
    I agree too , not only the safety issue but the flip side , had a work colleague get 3 very nice (mint) rifles stolen , he was gutted but worse was he got reamed up the bum by his insurance company, as sporting goods depreciation is insane . Long story short he got enough money to buy one rifle and glass .
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    That's rather loose.

I know a guy with an arse that fits that description - tight at the discharge end, the rest of it was bulbous and used for storage. The plick still owes me several grand for work I did and the bastard falsified his diary, a ship's log and tried to get a couple of the guys I was working with to lie to the courts that I wasn't there... Good one - thanks for your custom!
    Wtf?! I would ruin the cunt in any way possible

What are the rules around ammo?
    I was told by a guy working in a gun shop that ammo doesn't need to be locked anywhere, just out of the reach of children, not with the guns and not obviously on display.
    Also said bolts are allowed to be stored in the gun, but he locks his magazines elsewhere, and gave the situation of a shot gun or semi auto that cannot remove the bolt.

Every firearms licence shall be subject to the following conditions:
    (b)the holder, where he or she has both a firearm and ammunition for it in his or her possession, either—
    (i)shall take reasonable steps to ensure that the ammunition is not stored in such a way that a person who obtains access to the firearm also obtains access to the ammunition; or
    (ii)shall ensure that, where the ammunition is stored with the firearm, the firearm is not capable of being discharged:

There is no requirement to keep ammunition securely stored. It is good practice though.

Ammunition can be stored with the firearm, as long as the firearm is not capable of being fired (Trigger lock, removing bolt). It is not good practice though.

There is no requirement to disable any firearm except restricted weapons. It is good practice though.

Arms Regulations 1992-

19 Conditions relating to security precautions

(1) Every firearms licence shall be subject to the following conditions:

(a) the holder shall not put a firearm in such a place that a young child has ready access to it:

(b) the holder, where he or she has both a firearm and ammunition for it in his or her possession, either—

(i) shall take reasonable steps to ensure that the ammunition is not stored in such a way that a person who obtains access to the firearm also obtains access to the ammunition; or

(ii) shall ensure that, where the ammunition is stored with the firearm, the firearm is not capable of being discharged:

(c) the holder shall take reasonable steps to ensure that any firearm in the holder’s possession is secured against theft:

(d) the holder shall, where he or she has possession of a firearm that is—

(i) a flare pistol; or

(ii) a humane killer; or

(iii) a stock marking pistol,—

keep it in a locked container, except where it is under the holder’s immediate and personal supervision.

(2) On and after 1 July 1993 the reasonable steps required by subclause (1)(c) shall include—

(a) keeping on the holder’s premises—

(i) a lockable cabinet, container, or receptacle of stout construction in which firearms may be stored; or

(ii) a lockable steel and concrete strongroom in which firearms may be stored; or

(iii) a display cabinet or rack in which firearms may be immobilised and locked so that none of them may be fired; and

(b) keeping locked or immobilised and locked in the cabinet, container, receptacle, strongroom, display cabinet, or rack required by paragraph (a) every firearm which is on the holder’s premises and which is not under immediate and personal supervision of the holder or some other holder of a firearms licence; and

(c) ensuring that no firearm in the holder’s possession is left in a vehicle that is unattended.

(i) shall take reasonable steps to ensure that the ammunition is not stored in such a way that a person who obtains access to the firearm also obtains access to the ammunition; or
    So basically can't be with the guns unless bolt is removed or have trigger locks.
    So can stick it in a wardrobe somewhere, but in a perfect world would be locked away.

Cheers, I did have a read through the act and will have ammo, rifles with trigger locks and bolts in separate safes in different places so that side of things should be fine although it does seem to be open to interpretation somewhat. I was also looking for any official docs. that mentioned an amendment to the arms act in relation to safe thickness but came up empty handed.

I have spoken with a mate who said that living with other people none of whom have a FAL and he said it was not an issue, so fingers crossed, ill be gutted if I get denied because I live with other people.

On a side note, how long did it take for the vetting officer to do his thing and come to give the ok for security and interview your references?

Strider

Cheers, I did have a read through the act and will have ammo, rifles with trigger locks and bolts in separate safes in different places so that side of things should be fine although it does seem to be open to interpretation somewhat. I was also looking for any official docs. that mentioned an amendment to the arms act in relation to safe thickness but came up empty handed.

I have spoken with a mate who said that living with other people none of whom have a FAL and he said it was not an issue, so fingers crossed, ill be gutted if I get denied because I live with other people.

On a side note, how long did it take for the vetting officer to do his thing and come to give the ok for security and interview your references?

Strider
    I don't know of any tabled Arms Amendment Bill. Richard Prosser from NZ First mentioned about his parties desire to increase the storage requirements. NZ Police may attempt to introduce a new policy, but like many of their previous policies it won't be supported by the law.

Living with others isn't an issue, as long as they don't have criminal convictions or mental health issues. Even then, it doesn't rule you out. Case by case.

Took 4 days for the vetting officer to come around and another 1 week for another to interview my reference.