Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Hammer Bullets

Hammer Bullets

I use the 6mm 69 Absolute Hammer's @ 3850 fps in my custom Kimber Hunter 6mm Creedmoor thermal rifle, is point & shoot out to around 375 yards

As a proof of the fast & flat concept I initially used the 80 TTSX @ 3400fps & was happy with the few deer I shot past 350 with it, but they are not particularly aggressive by design

This prompted me to step up to the more Hammer 69 AH, I have shot quite a number of animals with them now from 20 to 380 yards & I'm extremely happy with their terminal performance

They are way more aggressive than the Barnes I have used, basically like a bomb going off inside the target, the amount of blood in & out of the chest cavity is unbelievable to be fair

This in the entrance on the Red Deer leaving the area quartering away at around 150 yards, with the lack of recoil I could clearly see the impact in the scope

I recovered the shank of the projectile, around 31 grains from in front of the shoulder, along with another from one of the other Deer shot last weekend

Both shanks were around the same weight & I also found a bit of a nose that was around 3 grains, they really let go at these velocities

The number of DRT or less that 15 yards covered on impacts I've had so far is extremely impressive
    I was a little concerned with meat damage compared to the Barnes until I saw the result from a 140 BT out of a 19" 7-08 at around 2885fps from the weekend

I'm looking forward to testing more of these & the newer HHT in various cartridges, I have a 6-284 that is looking like cruising at just over 4K with the 69AH

But this combination will be hard to beat, the low noise & virtually no recoil means you can easily see the impact & result in the scope as well as later if recorded

They are also extremely ruthless on goats especially at close range with little pelt damage

My partner has got right into tanning skins, Goats, Deer, Weasels, Stoats & Ferrets so far, therefore I have to be more careful skinning some of them

She has recovered 4 skins from the 7 shot last weekend

Nice colours in that skin
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Nice one, just shot my first animal with a hammer tonite out of the 22 hornet using their 33 gr with a large hole up front. Neck shot so no real test but am looking forward to damage on a rabbit.
    Kiwi Greg likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorlad View Post
    Nice colours in that skin
    Yes has a few Mates that she wants to introduce herself too, sooner rather than later would be good, before they get anymore stinky billy goat like

I was water blasting a couple of skins tonight for my partner so she can tan them & I found this

Another shank, in really good condition, must have been in the flesh against the skin, both had a little entry & no exit, not surprising given the distance they were shot at & the projectiles performance

Gkp
    That's epic!
    Sounds like a sweet wee shooter. Any pics to share?
    I am well sold on the hammers

Quote Originally Posted by Gkp View Post
    That's epic!
    Sounds like a sweet wee shooter. Any pics to share?
    I am well sold on the hammers
    No rifle only pics sorry

Gkp
    Nice. Some good freezer filling going on there

Quote Originally Posted by Gkp View Post
    Nice. Some good freezer filling going on there
    Yep the vast majority donated to local food banks

I ordered more Hammers and they left the US 14 November. They are still in transit. 6 weeks. I have never recovered a .223 shank but have 6.5prc and 270wsm. Exactly the same as yours.
    Kiwi Greg and nor-west like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    I ordered more Hammers and they left the US 14 November. They are still in transit. 6 weeks. I have never recovered a .223 shank but have 6.5prc and 270wsm. Exactly the same as yours.
    Did you order those .25 calibres?
    I'm trying to get to heaven before they shut the door.

Quote Originally Posted by nor-west View Post
    Did you order those .25 calibres?
    No, because that order was well before you PM'd me. Will be in the next lot.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Gkp
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Only took 2 weeks for our last order. That could well be a post service issue. We did keep to a limit of 500 pills but

Impressive little bullets , wouldn’t mind trying them in the 260 , did you just order direct and no problems to buy through the mail ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
    Impressive little bullets , wouldn’t mind trying them in the 260 , did you just order direct and no problems to buy through the mail ?
    No problems at all. This is the first time they have been slow.

They are certainly good, but not magic.
    - Rumi