Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By erniec
  • 3 Post By woods223
  • 4 Post By Rendogg

Thread: Hanmer spring/public Hossack area Question

Hanmer spring/public Hossack area Question

Afternoon !
    I'm heading out hanmer way this weekend for a looksie. I've been looking at the open public hunting area of Hossack off jollies Pass. I know the knowledge base on here and thought id ask if anyone's been before? and also what the car parking situation is ?
    I asked Doc but they said check the website (website has no info other than its a open area hunting block haha). on the map looks like there's a little dead end road off the main road?
    Anyways , any input would be awesome. Hope everyone's already knocked off or relaxing for the weekend.

The Molesworth road is closed at the moment. I never went into that area I always went into the St James either around Edwards Malings but they are both closed to vehicles too due to the fire risk. Plenty of deer around those areas and Chamois too if you can get up high. I think that road you are looking at is known as the Blowfly which is heavily used by pig hunters if it is.

Not knocked off as I work Friday through Sunday then have weekdays off which suits just fine.

Don't stray into the Hossack they are hot on that.
    Happy Jack.

you think jollies pass road is closed too ??

Oh true !

Yeah i bet . i mean the public open hossack block is a pretty big area. once in it looks like decent country to glass i thought .

It will be as its the same as the Molesworth high country tussock
    Happy Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
    The Molesworth road is closed at the moment. I never went into that area I always went into the St James either around Edwards Malings but they are both closed to vehicles too due to the fire risk. Plenty of deer around those areas and Chamois too if you can get up high. I think that road you are looking at is known as the Blowfly which is heavily used by pig hunters if it is.

Not knocked off as I work Friday through Sunday then have weekdays off which suits just fine.

Don't stray into the Hossack they are hot on that.
    What really is the status of the Molesworth and Rainbow Roads according to DOC website closed yet on Facebook bunch of old V8s going through and other posts the same.
    We are going down that way from 4th March and can't see much rain happening to damp things down and allow reopening.

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk
    Happy Jack likes this.

damn , back to the drawing board of where to try next !

Molesworth Road is shut to general public access. Rainbow Road is open at moment, road toll also in place.
    erniec, Shearer and Happy Jack like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Canty View Post
    damn , back to the drawing board of where to try next !
    Don’t be too unhappy mate . The weather has affected so many of my planned hunts the last two years it’s not funny . You still have a lot of doc country accessed off the lewis pass within an hours drive of Hanmer .. animals seen or not nothing beats a stretch of the legs glassing new country ..