Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Help me find an oinker

ebf

Help me find an oinker

Righto guys, after the HUNTS course, reading the Lentle books and various tips on here, I am pretty confident about being able to find goats and deer in the NZ bush.

My next mission is Mr Piggy Shooting, not stabbing

In general, what should I be looking for ?

Same types of areas as deer and goats ? Dawn /dusk ?
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

im not sure about up there but down here its very hard to catch a big boar out in the open they tend to be cunning and hide. I cant really help with tips on stalking pigs since I use my dog or wait for them in the evening

Tinui got some pigs outa there in my younger days. Spouse it all changed? Past the old Tinui pub there used to be an old conc bridge with a 52 Skoda imprinted on it! Go right,down the track, into the back of Otahome Station, but back then you just needed a permit to access. Probably all in hay these days?
    BRADS likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

ebf
    Macca, Tinui Station is/was up for sale Tinui Station Homestead and Homestay Cottages - Realestate.co.nz - bit out of my price bracket though

What I am keen to understand is what type of terrain should I be focusing on. Best time of day etc ?

have you got access to a private block where you can bait them up?

Without dogs the best success I've had is late afternoon onwards , if they haven't been hastled they are happy to come out well before dark . Spring and summer is harder to spot sign ( digging) as they graze more .
    kokako likes this.
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Macca, Tinui Station is/was up for sale Tinui Station Homestead and Homestay Cottages - Realestate.co.nz - bit out of my price bracket though

What I am keen to understand is what type of terrain should I be focusing on. Best time of day etc ?
    Anywhere out the coast, used to be good, or the pines round Tokaroa
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

ebf
    Nope possumer, doc and regional council land, definitely pigs on the regional council land.

Just for interest, what do you bait them with ? Carcass ? Any species better or worse ?

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Nope possumer, doc and regional council land, definitely pigs on the regional council land.

Just for interest, what do you bait them with ? Carcass ? Any species better or worse ?
    Sheep and goats worked well when we use two bait them at lambing time,
    I'm sure you old use anything for a hungry pig, the like there dead stuff aged

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

any rotton meat works. they love goat sheep and cow. if you have spots with huge scrubby faces sit and watch for awhile. or try find their wallows in summer and sit and watch them. ive noticed at my block the main wallow gets used just before dark so we head up and see a pig in it most times
    ebf likes this.

Doughnuts ??
    veitnamcam, Dundee, Toby and 3 others like this.
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Spuds, most to country I've got pigs in was fairly open, where pines had been cut from with rubbish,, re growth, soft ground
    Or pines steep banks, either side of vehicle track and running water, close country, but with dogs
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Read Terry Ngaphiki's book, might have a copy you can borrow
    ebf likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Hopefully someone with some local knowledge can point you in the right direction, failing that recall any pig sign you have seen on any walks, do some research, even ask a pig hunter where your best shot with out dogs would be

Also ask about , even drop an add in some sort of ag or local paper offering pig control without dogs, plenty of cockys are not so keen on dogs, especially around lambing, they will also be getting into maize crops during the season, could be worth ringing a maize contractor and ask if he knows of problem areas

This time of year they will be keeping out of the heat and starting to get up and mootch about late arvo onwards, and hitting the more open areas just before or after dark
    South facing cool gullies/ valleys with moisture, springs etc, pigs will leave plenty of sign in areas they live in, from poo to nests, wallows, digging, nosing, hook trees, grazed grass, plucked seed heads etc
    Not sure of the berry types in your area, but in summer the berry drop will bring pigs out from the pines and thick rubbish to feed and also camp up if conditions are good

Try some plucked possums for bait, 2 o 3 here and there, check them once in a while and add some more and also maize if you get them feeding on them, they cant say no to maize once they get a taste

A game camera is worth its weight in gold too, saves a heap of guess work when you do find a likely spot
    Munsey, ebf, Maca49 and 1 others like this.
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    OPCz

The Terry Ngawhika book is a good read, one of Kim Swans books, I think its Grunter hunters don't quote me, but it has a bit about diet, habits etc. quite informative rather than just storys - I will check it out I have it somewhere
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    OPCz