Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Help -Setting up my Huntech Bivy first time

Help -Setting up my Huntech Bivy first time

Ok, bought this a while ago.thought I'd try it out in the paddock. Package has one collapsible hoop, the bivy and a packet of pegs. Hoop in sleeve is easy. From there not so obvious. No way to enter, like, no opening flap at all. What am I supposed to do, lift an edge and crawl in?

Name:  20230113_173545.jpg
Views: 896
Size:  7.33 MB

Name:  20230113_174942.jpg
Views: 901
Size:  5.33 MB
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

I guess you need the tree..

Name:  20230113_175544.jpg
Views: 812
Size:  5.87 MB

Use a tree, sticks, poles, rifle, etc to set up the front opening. Can be set up lower, wider as required.
    Name:  Huntech1.jpg
Views: 715
Size:  59.7 KB
    Name:  Huntech2.jpg
Views: 783
Size:  367.7 KB
    Name:  Huntech3.jpg
Views: 762
Size:  1.01 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Jhon View Post
    Ok, bought this a while ago.thought I'd try it out in the paddock. Package has one collapsible hoop, the bivy and a packet of pegs. Hoop in sleeve is easy. From there not so obvious. No way to enter, like, no opening flap at all. What am I supposed to do, lift an edge and crawl in?

Attachment 214409

Attachment 214412
    Whats the cover over the chilly bin? Ive got the same bin - sale $99.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Luxe do something similar at 1.2kg, without pole or footprint. 1.5 with the fruit so up there with lightweight tents

not sure how it stacks up with regards to robustness with the huntech which is a good piece of kit

https://www.equipoutdoors.co.nz/luxe...with-footprint
    ROKTOY likes this.

Yep, find a stick or tie to a tree. I've also made a lightweight 3 piece pole for in the tussock where there's no trees.

Name:  IMG_20140201_202423.jpg
Views: 666
Size:  908.2 KB

Name:  IMG_20180402_064459.jpg
Views: 751
Size:  2.18 MB
    Trout, Dreamer and Micky Duck like this.

shikes...I thought most folks wouldve looked at the picture LOL...
    great bit of kit.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by ROKTOY View Post
    Use a tree, sticks, poles, rifle, etc to set up the front opening. Can be set up lower, wider as required.
    Attachment 214421
    Attachment 214422
    Attachment 214423
    Nice stag

Quote Originally Posted by Nick.m View Post
    Nice stag
    Not my photos, all found on the forum

Quote Originally Posted by ROKTOY View Post
    Not my photos, all found on the forum
    All good mate, i took the photo and may have shot the stag that bivy has been everywhere from Fiordland to the Kaimanawas and performed a treat.
    Micky Duck, ROKTOY and RUMPY like this.

After I figured it out I went for a hunt. 3 hours patient slow walk and glass where we saw 4 earlier in the day. Shot nothing, spooked nothing saw nothing. Get back to bivy camp tired after long day drive etc etc. Stop the truck. Look left in the fading 9.10pm CNI light and bugger me there's a deer across the gully on a steep grass face. Out with the Zastie 243, quartering toward me looking, nailed him thru the shoulder and out just below the spine with a 100gn BT SP at about 65m. Will range it in the morning. Its now 11pm and its taken that long for me to field dress it, squeeze it into my big fishing bin with ends hanging out and some bloody how lifting it bin and all into the back of the Prado. Its a young 6 pointer in early velvet and fat as. I'm used to goats and fallow. How the hell does anyone carry these things out on their backs?

Name:  20230113_212915.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  4.78 MB
    Trout, rugerman, stug and 11 others like this.

When you get older you wish you hadn't.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jhon View Post
    After I figured it out I went for a hunt. 3 hours patient slow walk and glass where we saw 4 earlier in the day. Shot nothing, spooked nothing saw nothing. Get back to bivy camp tired after long day drive etc etc. Stop the truck. Look left in the fading 9.10pm CNI light and bugger me there's a deer across the gully on a steep grass face. Out with the Zastie 243, quartering toward me looking, nailed him thru the shoulder and out just below the spine with a 100gn BT SP at about 65m. Will range it in the morning. Its now 11pm and its taken that long for me to field dress it, squeeze it into my big fishing bin with ends hanging out and some bloody how lifting it bin and all into the back of the Prado. Its a young 6 pointer in early velvet and fat as. I'm used to goats and fallow. How the hell does anyone carry these things out on their backs?

Attachment 214446
    Smart pple take the back legs boned out and cooled- and the backsteaks..... tough guys carry whole deer
    There's a "lot" of bone and wasted meat you carry for little gain with whole animal.

go the mighty zastava........enjoy the venison,it should be awesome.
    Jhon likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by ANTSMAN View Post
    Smart pple take the back legs boned out and cooled- and the backsteaks..... tough guys carry whole deer
    There's a "lot" of bone and wasted meat you carry for little gain with whole animal.
    Yes and I understand why. Fortunately I could back the wagon right up to it. Its now on a hook in a chiller for the night. As a cook I'm partial to some meat cooked on the bone.not so much as I'd want to carry a whole one. I was thinking of the 70s-80s when tough blokes were making their way carrying whole (field dressed) carcasses out for the booming venison market. Bet they hurt now...
    Micky Duck likes this.