Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Hi, sks can be use for hunting?

Did a fly in trip with a guy [aussie import] a few years back who had an sks, fully wooded and bayonet attached...I thought he was bloody useless and the same thought for his rifle. Always seemed to hunt with one eye on the hut. Long story short, at the end of the trip he had three deer and I had none.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

I tuink the main problem hunting with an sks / ak / ar is because they are so noisy to load people walk around with them loaded all the time. Not such an issue on private property but on doc land its allmost recipe for disaster.
    Scouser likes this.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Geez simmer down. As I said originally, if you feel comfortable you can hit your target it will drop. If you feel comfortable that you can hit a point target at 600m with 7.62x39 full credit to you. Effective fire in the sense I used it means that either your mates or the bullets are dropping next to you. If you think the 7.62x39 incapable of doing so at 600m be my guest to piss someone off in the sand pit and see how long you last. I agree poor choice of justification that the round in that style of rifle is a capable killer. Anyway lets not start a shit fight. To state my point plainly, if you can feel confident the shot placement is on and it will go where you're aiming it'll drop most things in NZ
    Last edited by Eion; 10-10-2013 at 04:16 PM.

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by Towely View Post
    Thats shit advice ebf. Clean ethical kills can not happen if you dont hit it in the right place to begin with. Gut shooting something with a 50bmg will not result in a clean kill but holy fuck look at the energy it produces. A .22 rimfire in the head will kill pretty much anything in this country also, but the energy it produces is shit.
    Exactly what part of my advice is "shit" towely ? The 700ft/lb part ?

I agree about your 50bmg example. It is both energy and placement. Would you shoot a deer in the Hillar area with a 22 at 100m ?

As for your bow example, using x39 at long distances is more akin to using target arrows as opposed to using broad heads...

If you think someone can consistently place bullets from a 7.62x39 into vital organs zone of an animal at the crazy distances mentioned, and have enough speed and energy left for the bullet to expand and do its job, you are welcome to your views

And just remember that we are talking in the context of RIFLE shooting, and hunting DEER.

Personally, I'd use a 22 to headshot a sheep on the farm from close range, but stay well clear of it for hunting deer. Different strokes...
    Savage1 likes this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Shot a deer with mine. It died.
    FletchNZ and Toby like this.

Welcome dude, most hunting in nz is up close and personal so you wont have to worry all about long distance shit especially starting out, SKS more then does the trick on pigs and if you can hit a target upto 100m you'l be away laughing. Only way to carry one around ready to go conveniently is having one up the spout, so as long as your semi careful your sweet mate.
    airliuwei likes this.

Ebf my mate stalks with his .22 magnum and produces the goods often..... but he's a freak at stalking
    A silly fuk is better than a serious wank

ebf
    The parts of this thread that I am questioning is "7.62x39 effective at 600m"... Oh, and towely telling me that the conventional wisdom of 700ft/lb of energy is "shit advice"

I think it is a reasonable rule of thumb, and explains why people talk about 243 running out of steam beyond 400m, compared to 30/30 doing the same at over 200. Of course this is for "medium" sized antelope or deer. If your target is thick skinned animal like Tahr, or if you are hunting dangerous game such as buffalo, you would be wise to err on the side of more firepower. The other version that I know of is to take the weight of the animal (in lb), and multiply it by 4 for the required energy level. Again to be taken as a general rule, not gospel, so if you intend shooting an elephant, you might want to consider something with a bit less grunt than 60,000 ft/lb

So just to be clear:
    Does ethical hunting require good shot placement ? DOH !
    Can you kill something with a 22 ? DOH !

Shaneo, hope your mate is doing his freaky stalking on private land, if it is DOC land, he is violating the conditions of his permit (no rimfire, 22 hornet or shotgun)
    Last edited by ebf; 11-10-2013 at 08:25 AM.

Banned
    I haven't shot anything with one, but have a lot of experience with a .30/30 and based on that I would be happy using the 7.62x39 out to 200 metres, or the distance you can effectively use the open sights it comes with. (The same for the .30/30.) I am sure the little 7.62x39 will do just fine. No matter what rifle I have carried I have shot nearly everything at less than 200 metres, (including tahr.) Go forth and hunt with your rifle.
    ebf likes this.

ebf
    Yup Carlsen I'm putting skinner peep on my 7.62x39, figured 200 was the max I would use the caliber, and 200 is the max I am confident hitting a deer with open sights.

Plus not having to mess around with a scope in wet, thick bush is a plus

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    The parts of this thread that I am questioning is "7.62x39 effective at 600m"... Oh, and towely telling me that the conventional wisdom of 700ft/lb of energy is "shit advice"

I think it is a reasonable rule of thumb, and explains why people talk about 243 running out of steam beyond 400m, compared to 30/30 doing the same at over 200. Of course this is for "medium" sized antelope or deer. If your target is thick skinned animal like Tahr, or if you are hunting dangerous game such as buffalo, you would be wise to err on the side of more firepower. The other version that I know of is to take the weight of the animal (in lb), and multiply it by 4 for the required energy level. Again to be taken as a general rule, not gospel, so if you intend shooting an elephant, you might want to consider something with a bit less grunt than 60,000 ft/lb

So just to be clear:
    Does ethical hunting require good shot placement ? DOH !
    Can you kill something with a 22 ? DOH !

Shaneo, hope your mate is doing his freaky stalking on private land, if it is DOC land, he is violating the conditions of his permit (no rimfire, 22 hornet or shotgun)
    So when you get into a comfy fire position which once you evaluate the ground density and the angle of the slope your going to lean on and your happy with that then do you run the numbers on the weight of the animal and its relevant position to your barrel then divide that number by say 82.56 then decide weather or not its a heart shot that matches the conditions or do you need to run another eqation the decide weather you should walk back to the car because the calculater is fucked?????????................just asking.

ebf
    Naa Necky, I haul out my portable latte machine, percolate a decaf, and then punch in the numbers into my trusty MacBook (the camo version). I don't ever have to walk more than 1.37 km coz I jus call the heli from my sat phone, much easier that way

Oh, and my trusty gun bearer lugs around 5 different barrel s for my Blaser, so I can just change the rifle to suit whatever animal crosses my path...
    kimjon, Toby, BRADS and 2 others like this.

[QUOTE=ebf;168709
    Shaneo, hope your mate is doing his freaky stalking on private land, if it is DOC land, he is violating the conditions of his permit (no rimfire, 22 hornet or shotgun)[/QUOTE]

Yea bro they have a big block near the Kaipara fallow herd
    A silly fuk is better than a serious wank

of course you can shoot deer with an sks
    Tasbay likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Naa Necky, I haul out my portable latte machine, percolate a decaf, and then punch in the numbers into my trusty MacBook (the camo version). I don't ever have to walk more than 1.37 km coz I jus call the heli from my sat phone, much easier that way

Oh, and my trusty gun bearer lugs around 5 different barrel s for my Blaser, so I can just change the rifle to suit whatever animal crosses my path...
    Now thats my type of hunting But take a barista with me too.
    distant stalker likes this.