Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: How to hunt from fresh deer poop?

@Barry the hunter. Probably the best reply so far. I hunt South Island bush same way. 28 deer shot since May 2022, mostly bush, and after looking at gps tracks it would appear my average travel speed was around 400 meters per hour when in hunting mode. That was probably too fast as well. So as the old saying goes, Make haste slowly.
    Barry the hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by woods223 View Post
    @Barry the hunter. Probably the best reply so far. I hunt South Island bush same way. 28 deer shot since May 2022, mostly bush, and after looking at gps tracks it would appear my average travel speed was around 400 meters per hour when in hunting mode. That was probably too fast as well. So as the old saying goes, Make haste slowly.
    that GPS dam handy gadgets - one can find clearings feed faces - and GPS for a look at late evening or early morning - speed well when I was culling there were two types -some would travel miles and get deer by covering a lot of country - others would hunt a smaller area but slowly and carefully and get their timing right to be in good areas at right time - I dont believe either was right or wrong but I did notice the speed hunters did well early on in a block and the carefull ones did better than them later on when it had been well disturbed - I do know that wandering around North Island native with a rifle and no pattern or system of hunting it is really only armed tramping - to start to identify good areas and then hunt at right time is starting to learn bush hunting
    woods223 and SF90 like this.

Alex Z try this for a start NZ Journal of zoology- Diet and diet preferences of introduced ungulates Forsyth Coomes Nugent and Hall
    Eat Meater likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    Alex Z try this for a start NZ Journal of zoology- Diet and diet preferences of introduced ungulates Forsyth Coomes Nugent and Hall
    Brilliant, thanks

Identify your target beyond all doubt because you never miss (right?) and I'll be missed.