Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree139Likes

Thread: How much do you spend on gear?

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    To Kens wife....
    I will take that Blaser off his hands for $1000. He will make a handsome profit.

Don't listen Honey , that's the guy I was telling you about that talks to the sky and mutters to himself about rooting chickens .
    He's obviously off his rocker and can't be trusted .
    No I think its best to keep the Blaser as an investment and one day it might just be worth $1000 , but that's probably a few years away .

Ken
    madmaori likes this.
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

I do some hunting out of a Canadian canoe and another boat as well. These cost as much and more than most of my other hunting gear. The Canadian cost me $2000 over ten years ago, being built in Canada from Kevlar and imported. My GWP dogs are a fair investment as well but the return in meat and poultry from them is pretty awesome, not to mention the sheer joy from them, whether we get game or not. Rough weather over clothing is expensive and I have had some supposedly "best " stuff that was not worth squat after a couple of years use. The best I have found is the heavy Stoney Creek outer wear. (bullet proof and everything else proof for over 5 years now.) GPS , compass, maps and plb now always carried along with 1st aid kit and survival blanket,, Mercator, wax matches, twine and inner tube pieces at all times. Never used to carry gps or plb in earlier times, as they did not exist, but with age comes increased risk, so I figure they are a good investment today.

Buy the best you can afford for bigger ticket items pays off in the long run.
    Still have a Fairydown Sleeping bag that I paid $260 for in 1983 was a bit less than the big bucks weeks wages I was getting at the time.
    Zips still work, down still in it and stitching hasn't failed.
    jakewire and Boulderman like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ground Control View Post
    Don't listen Honey , that's the guy I was telling you about that talks to the sky and mutters to himself about rooting chickens .
    He's obviously off his rocker and can't be trusted .
    No I think its best to keep the Blaser as an investment and one day it might just be worth $1000 , but that's probably a few years away .

Ken
    I think maybe you should pass such a valuable "investment" into the tender care of the forum, for safe keeping of course. At least that way, your good lady should be assured that there is zero bullshit involved Maca would be a great custodian, with Rushy as trustee. The rest of us could check it for accuracy occasionally at Gillie's shoots.

Binos and Scopes would be my biggest $.
    All Zeiss or Swarovski glass, never regretted it and helps me find lots of animals others can't see
    Sitka gear for the tops and whatever for everywhere else.
    And it's all brought here in NZ
    I don't mind paying a few extra $ for something to keep the locals going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Norway, Blaser, 199p and 5 others like this.

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    My Dog, not so much as what I paid for Her but more as to what's she is worth.
    Pointer, Dougie, mikee and 2 others like this.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    I assume that Swazi is still manufactured in NZ ? one good reason to support them instead of the mass produced Chinese shit.
    Yep that's why I buy them over the others a bit more expensive but I find generally they are worth it and there sizes are a better fit for us bigger kiwis which is why when I upgrade my hunting jacket before going to Stewart island next year I'll be getting a swazi one
    oneshot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    It was well worth it with a "comfort" rating to -30 degrees..
    So how do you get on over summer? Or do you have a summer one also?

Geovids would the biggest investment ive made on hunting gear, but who cares its only money.
    Dougie and carlhurley like this.

I'd hate to add it up...

I absolutely hate shit gear, like Brads I see deer later into the evening because I have European binoculars.

Each to thier own, it's not a competition.
    BRADS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    Scope
    Rifle
    Rangefinder
    Binos/boots
    Coat,
    Pretty much in that order, need a better pair of Binos than the Bushnell legends and the boots took some wearing in but petty happy .
    The Legend's no good then? They were next on my list....

Havnt bought anything new except for boots in the past few years, boots would be the biggest ongoing, get 2-3 years out of a pair of gronels but do wear them pretty much every day at work. If your feet are happy the rest of you can put up with quite a bit of shite.
    308 likes this.

If I do buy flash Harry hunting gear I'll buy it second hand off some other gear junkie for a fraction of new retail. Usually it is in mint condition.
    Scouser likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    If I do buy flash Harry hunting gear I'll buy it second hand off some other gear junkie for a fraction of new retail. Usually it is in mint condition.
    Shhhh GM, thats what i do.....dont tell everyone!!!!!!!
    gadgetman and Woody like this.
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
    So how do you get on over summer? Or do you have a summer one also?
    I don't really do any regular over nighters in summer, just used my winter bag the last few times and unzip it when too hot. I like being mega warm when sleeping no matter the time of year :-) even used it in a hut we kept no cooler than 25degrees all weekend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt