Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

Like Tree1592Likes

Thread: How's the recon going for the roar?

Quote Originally Posted by Maarty View Post
    He's nice, even if you never got another stag you'd have to be happy with that. Where'd you find him?
    north otago.

R93
    Had an awesome trip away.
    Seen a nice 5 yr old stag we seen last year as a 12.
    We got some pics of him but I had to lend my memory card to a mate to do so, as he had better camera than me so I don't have access to them yet.
    He was a very nice 15. All opposing points were long and even but he is still a bit short in length. It would have been a crime to shoot him as he has so much more potential. He was left in peace to service his growing harem of hinds.

If someone else shoots him, then thems the breaks, but we think he is better off to try his luck for at least another season.

The 12 I was keen on was not what I was after. He was a mature, long and even stag but we thought maybe a bit narrow and light when we got a closer look at him.
    He was however shot by a mate that did well to get close enough and is very happy with him.

Got close and personal with around a dozen stags including one I almost walked into its back end as I come around a bit of scrub this morning.
    I reckon I got more of a start than he did. He barked 4 or 5 times as he ran off and then started roaring once he was out of site.
    Weather turned to shit so we got out earlier than planned. Covered some country and had a ball with great mates.
    Maybe next year I will get to bump into a stag that will be worth lugging the rifle up and down some big hills😆

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by R93; 02-04-2016 at 01:11 AM.
    puku, Blaser, Pointer and 11 others like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Heard a hee haw deep in waipahiki yesterday, too far to close the distance at 330pm

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Had an awesome trip away.
    Seen a nice 5 yr old stag we seen last year as a 12.
    We got some pics of him but I had to lend my memory card to a mate to do so, as he had better camera than me so I don't have access to them yet.
    He was a very nice 15. All opposing points were long and even but he is still a bit short in length. It would have been a crime to shoot him as he has so much more potential. He was left in peace to service his growing harem of hinds.

If someone else shoots him, then thems the breaks, but we think he is better off to try his luck for at least another season.

The 12 I was keen on was not what I was after. He was a mature, long and even stag but we thought maybe a bit narrow and light when we got a closer look at him.
    He was however shot by a mate that did well to get close enough and is very happy with him.

Got close and personal with around a dozen stags including one I almost walked into its back end as I come around a bit of scrub this morning.
    I reckon I got more of a start than he did. He barked 4 or 5 times as he ran off and then started roaring once he was out of site.
    Weather turned to shit so we got out earlier than planned. Covered some country and had a ball with great mates.
    Maybe next year I will get to bump into a stag that will be worth lugging the rifle up and down some big hills��

R93 hope your patience works out for next year.... Be really nice to see that head sounds like it will be a good one.
    Blaser and Gibo like this.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    R93 hope your patience works out for next year.... Be really nice to see that head sounds like it will be a good one.
    Thanks mate but I won't be getting a go at him. I have seen him several times at a distance but he was first spotted by my mate. I doubt he will give up the chance as he has spent a lot of time sussing him out. He will not be an easy stalk if in the same place. Stag has everything in his favour if he is to be shot on foot.
    His decision to risk leaving him alone for another year has to be respected.

Pointer, 199p, BRADS and 1 others like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Got to respect leaving animals for another year.
    Some will only get better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    7mmsaum, Blaser, Pointer and 13 others like this.

Thats a bad ass pic mr

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Thats a bad ass pic mr
    Only you and I know that in Brad's case mr means midget rarker. Mind you with mates like Dundee and Pengy you can understand why he has built a level of intolerance.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Was quiet last weekend and bloody warm where I was.

A little edit I did of our quick hunt
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7n8dBiE-II

Looking at getting back into the Whirinaki 7th-10th April for a good go at it.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Thanks mate but I won't be getting a go at him. I have seen him several times at a distance but he was first spotted by my mate. I doubt he will give up the chance as he has spent a lot of time sussing him out. He will not be an easy stalk if in the same place. Stag has everything in his favour if he is to be shot on foot.
    His decision to risk leaving him alone for another year has to be respected.

Yes on all accounts.. Man it's some times a hard call but you do feel so much better at the end of the day when you do make that call.
    If he dose get him, it would be lovely to see a pic I'm sure that more than one of us will be on the look out for it this time next year!

Spent the whole day in pureora yesterday, bump into two hinds, but no roaring stags yet in my usual spots.

Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    Spent the whole day in pureora yesterday, bump into two hinds, but no roaring stags yet in my usual spots.
    A mate of mine has been down Piropiro for a couple days and said there's been no action.
    Usually get some action in there late March, not this year.

Same for piropiro.and this does not help because there were at least 4 parties hunting around where I went, and we are all disturbing the area with our scent for the next few days. I saved my best spot and did not venture to fare in.

Went out this morning in the Tararuas. I had two 18 yr olds with me. The stream across to where we wanted to go was UP so rather than teach them to take risks with streams and rivers we went for plan B. To keep them keen I headed up away from the stream via a little gut that used to produce a deer every now and then years ago when I used to hunt there. there was enough sign to stop the little moans about not getting across the stream.
    Saw a stoat cross the stream by climbing across the trees above our heads.
    Didn't hear any roaring. Found a few thrashed trees and scrub, smelt one a couple of times but the wind was switching from straight down the ridge to straight up every 20 minutes or so.
    It turned into more of a show and tell thing, showing them the type of areas to look in and what to look for.
    Was still a good trip, like any into the bush.
    Sideshow likes this.

Theyve started roaring in central
    Name:  IMG_0777.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  1.17 MB
    Wildman, Blaser, NRT and 2 others like this.
    Ya can't park there mate.