Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

Like Tree1592Likes

Thread: How's the recon going for the roar?

I got a good red early in the week that I had seen a couple of times in the velvet.
    Antlers were nice and hard under the velvet and only took a few minutes to completely strip.

Name:  red front stripped.jpg
Views: 893
Size:  2.14 MB

Name:  red back stripped .jpg
Views: 894
Size:  2.32 MB
    Tahr, outdoorlad, R93 and 24 others like this.

seen this morning, mud fat. Not common to see them in this area but have seen this guy 3x in the last six weeks and first time i got a good look at him. Hopefully in the next couple weeks he hangs around.Name:  IMG_1075.JPG
Views: 708
Size:  6.75 MB
    sako75, Gibo, Shearer and 6 others like this.

Wow it would be nice if he could hang around another year or so!
    Looks like he’s just starting to show some potential!!
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Unfortunately it want stay here, another month and i will never see it again. Ever year it seems to happen.Also if another hunter see's it it will be shot. I am hopping he will stay long enough to loose his velvet and get a bit of colour. then i get a nice head and a good feed prime fallow
    Gibo and berg243 like this.

Been slack this year, will start going out this week for a look

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sideshow likes this.
    Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts

Not too much recon from me not from want of trying though but with the weather being North of 30 degrees at the moment it limits the willingness to lose copious amounts of fluid I will get out for an overnight hunt very soon
    bigbear likes this.

Yeh our spot is closed for Extreme Fire Danger, need some rain now.

Ripper stag akaroa 1!

I’ve been out in the Canty high country for the last 4 days looking for a stag like this. It was brutally hot with animals only moving first and last light and I only saw a handful of deer where last year id seen close to 40 for the same circuit. Lots of Chamie around though which are always fun to watch.
    Sideshow likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonecrusher View Post
    Not too much recon from me not from want of trying though but with the weather being North of 30 degrees at the moment it limits the willingness to lose copious amounts of fluid I will get out for an overnight hunt very soon
    Same in our area, in the last month 9 days above 30 degrees and only two days below 20 degrees, the last time it rained was 28 days ago. The grounds like walking on corn flakes in the bush which makes for hard stalking. No animals on the tops except goats, all the deer are in the shade of the hill and down in the creeks so the sound of running water covers our approach. Pigs are going hard in the wollows, a couple of nights ago found a wollow that stunk of stag but pig hair in it. Haven’t seen any big boys yet, a valvety 10 is the biggest so far.
    See how nexts weeks recon goes its ment to be 33 degrees on Thursday when I go back in, the dog will be in every creek again. Should hear stags stripping next week and see a few fingers crossed.

Where we are going in the Ruahines there is no chance of a recon. Kids and school holidays have taken all my work leave
    I think it will be pretty warm and that means the Ruahine Blowflies will try and steal any meat we get
    Will have to hunt a bit smarter

Quote Originally Posted by Smiddy View Post

Shit that’s not good @Smiddy hope it’s nothing serious! Good luck for this year you must be looking to top last years efforts

Quote Originally Posted by Smiddy View Post

Shit that’s not good @Smiddy hope it’s nothing serious! Good luck for this year you must be looking to top last years efforts

Good on the rest of you for getting out, or about too! Bugger with the heat! Doesn’t need to be said to be careful with your flames

I am so unfit I am dreading my first hunt for 2019 Too much fishing which means far too much beer!

I do have a hopefull spot where a good red was spotted last season so fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by akaroa1 View Post
    I got a good red early in the week that I had seen a couple of times in the velvet.
    Antlers were nice and hard under the velvet and only took a few minutes to completely strip.

Attachment 104682

Attachment 104683
    That's a cracker mate

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by akaroa1 View Post

Attachment 104682

Attachment 104683
    Great stonking stag @Akaroa 1. With a stag like that you must surely have needed help from a trusty assistant ???