Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

Like Tree1592Likes

Thread: How's the recon going for the roar?

Went for a look on sunday, no action or roaring. Found a couple of wallows but only a couple of hinds and a spiker been using it in the last couple of days.
    Not much sign of any decent stags, wasnt a area i was going to hunt for the roar anyway so i certainly wont now.
    I always hear stags going in the bush from the 20th so i suspect it should be about the same.
    OI go again this sunday or monday and then again on friday or saturday when i should hear some actoion and hopefully a stag down
    Mooseman, Sideshow and kukuwai like this.

Last night. Nice 12.
    Gave him a few roars but he just wandered off. Wasn't interested.
    Hope to catch up with him sometime.

Name:  P1010291.JPG
Views: 731
Size:  2.24 MB
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Think for a lot of you in the north island due to the storm this might have been in short supply.
    If you have gotten out how did you get on?
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Some of the farm stags making abit of noise apparently
    Grantn likes this.

North Canterbury. The odd spika feeding with hinds but the big guys still not interested.

GWH
    The recon came to an abrupt holt 3 weeks ago, I now cannot get to my hunting spots due to washed-out roads and bridges. Prior to this I had seen the biggest stag i have even seen on Public land, I had great plans of trying to catch him out in the same spot again pre-roar, but it's not to be, thankfully I still have a house, many now don't.

TLB
    Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    The recon came to an abrupt holt 3 weeks ago, I now cannot get to my hunting spots due to washed-out roads and bridges. Prior to this I had seen the biggest stag i have even seen on Public land, I had great plans of trying to catch him out in the same spot again pre-roar, but it's not to be, thankfully I still have a house, many now don't.
    Yeah for a lot of people in Hawkes Bay she's going to be slim pickings this roar.
    Having seen the state of some of the roads accessing the Kawekas on the eastern side, unfortunately there is not many options there.
    hebe likes this.

Went for a blat round some fiordland possies in the weekend, no noise there yet but its certainly getting cold at night now, snow on the tops on Saturday night.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

....even with the roads cleared, and an aerial assessment of huts & tracks in the Ruahines and Kawekas - windthrow will kill any concept of a decent hunt in 2023's roar.
    No intention of being all doom and gloom - there will be new clearings opened up on faces not previously considered..... but there will be issues getting to whatever you've shot.
    Best of luck to all affected by that bastard Gabrielle, but please be careful.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickoli View Post
    ....even with the roads cleared, and an aerial assessment of huts & tracks in the Ruahines and Kawekas - windthrow will kill any concept of a decent hunt in 2023's roar.
    No intention of being all doom and gloom - there will be new clearings opened up on faces not previously considered..... but there will be issues getting to whatever you've shot.
    Best of luck to all affected by that bastard Gabrielle, but please be careful.
    Yup I hear ya mate
    Nickoli likes this.

Caretaker
    Rissington bridge will be finished by March 20th -25th

Just in time

Been some very nice velvet sika stags on ferny ridge early Feb and will be really good to catch up with them again end of March

They don’t make a lot of sound during the day unless they are at the northern end, but first light they are very active in the middle of ferny
    Sideshow and Micky Duck like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

TLB
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    Rissington bridge will be finished by March 20th -25th

Just in time

Been some very nice velvet sika stags on ferny ridge early Feb and will be really good to catch up with them again end of March

They don’t make a lot of sound during the day unless they are at the northern end, but first light they are very active in the middle of ferny
    Ferny will be the point of call for most hunters as it looked like the road was completely gone before the ferny carpark and I think with a 2 wheeler you can get down to the first crossing on lotkow.
    Ford at Makahu is completely gone and have little hope for the road to the hotsprings. So even with the bridge up at Rissington unless some major repairs happen in a short space of time then unfortunately a lot of legwork will be required to hunt what would usually be easy spots. Probably pretty low priority at the moment and quite costly so possibly may not get done for a fair while.

Name:  EABF19AC-5BC3-451B-A72F-2B6F324C4599.jpeg
Views: 693
Size:  8.88 MB

Found a nice scraping last week in Southland. Will be going out this morning for a listen.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Just back from a 3 day mission in the tops. Heard a stag roaring well on Friday evening. Saw 6 stags, all on their own or in close proximity to hinds. A couple of them wallowing up and destroying trees. Young stags sparring good last night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

In North Island after Gabrielle it is like a smorgasborg of feed in the Bush. Plenty of Yummy food lying around everywhere. Should be plenty of healthy animals this Roar!
    TimC likes this.