Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

Like Tree1592Likes

Thread: How's the recon going for the roar?

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    Just back from a 3 day mission in the tops. Heard a stag roaring well on Friday evening. Saw 6 stags, all on their own or in close proximity to hinds. A couple of them wallowing up and destroying trees. Young stags sparring good last night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You must be ready for another 11km round trip to shoot him on your tents doorstep no?

That was one classic photo form last year @JoshC Name:  F5CFD480-F0EF-4B93-8019-A788B13E71C9.jpeg
Views: 916
Size:  129.5 KB
    Dreamer, Micky Duck, Rees and 3 others like this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    You must be ready for another 11km round trip to shoot him on your tents doorstep no?

That was one classic photo form last year @JoshC Attachment 218898
    Haha yeah...
    We're away tonight for a quick mish. Nothing too serious planned this year...my sister is getting married on the 14th April so I can't go too far for too long I did say to her, if she didn't want me to come she could have said, rather than have the wedding in the roar!
    Nathan F, Dreamer, Gibo and 6 others like this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    Haha yeah...
    We're away tonight for a quick mish. Nothing too serious planned this year...my sister is getting married on the 14th April so I can't go too far for too long I did say to her, if she didn't want me to come she could have said, rather than have the wedding in the roar!
    Grounds for disownment right there
    JoshC likes this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Finally got out tonight for a look, heard a couple stags just getting in to it. Got to dark. Have another look in the morning

Big day yesterday, left home at 3am and got home at 1:30am this morning. Covered a few catchments, not sure how many kms but I’m a bit tender today! Saw ok numbers of deer quite a few hinds and yearlings. Only saw 6 stags, on their own at the moment, wallowing and wrecking trees but didn’t hear any roaring. Saw one really old boy, 11-12 pointer, he was already with a group of hinds as I’d expect a stag of that age to be. Definitely a cool stag to shoot but conditions weren’t right so will go back another day for a look

outdoorlad, NRT, Dreamer and 22 others like this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

We must have walked passed each other Josh c sounds about the same trip anyway . we also seen a lot of hinds and yearlings with no stags in tow . The mature and only stag we seen wasn’t interested in the ladies ,no roars heard APNP
    JoshC, Sideshow and Micky Duck like this.

niiice

Greetings All,
    A series of unfortunate events has severely curtailed my preparation let alone scouting for the roar. The weather over spring and summer has been wet, very wet over summer. Gabrielle has done a number on our local roads and my long planned trip to Makino has been torpedoed (three road closures on the way to the road end). The weather has finally settled, at least for now and we have moved from sodden to damp. The Taihape road is now open as far as Lawrence Road, about 35 km from home, so this morning I set of for a little forest bathing sans rifle in Blowhard Bush. A couple of hours easy trundle including visits from the local NI Robin population resulted in a much happier chap. I even spotted some deer sign. Hopefully some improvement in the roads will result in a trip up Kuri Hill in the near future.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    PS. The Kawekas are still inaccessible from the HB side but Kuripapango can still be reached from the Taihape side.
    RUMPY likes this.

Northern Tararuas still quiet-heading into Mid Ruahines tomorrow morning for a listen will report back.

Had two stags going well in the Catlins bush today.

kukuwai and Billbob like this.

Went hunting wednesday local, heard 2 stags. got within60m of the first one, pushing a hind up the hill. Saw bit of it thru the rubbish but had no clean shot.
    Wind stuffed it for me thou and that one was gone.
    Second one wind changed on me and it smelt me as i was heading down thur the native.
    Nice 8 pointer, was running across in front of me, had the crosshairs on it a number of times, nearly pulled the trigger twice but just wasnt the right shot etc so that one was a lucky one.
    Wallow well used that morning, might have another go on the weekend

GWH
    Heard a couple of stags roaring right on dark as we were walking out of the mid/northern Ruahines on Wednesday night, laid eyes on a couple of stags and a couple of hinds, mate shot a nice even little 12 pointer, which was a pretty good head for Ruahine public land, It wasnt roaring or pissed up at all, and had no hinds, it had plenty of fat thou and being this side of the rut should be tasty.

Just back from a week in the Manson ,heard a couple of Hee Haws first thing in the morning. So they are thinking about it!!.
    Managed to score this small 8ptr, fat as a seal as you would expect pre rut.Name:  20230319_095718.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  1.30 MB

the southerly blast couple nights ago got a couple reds in to end, run out of light before getting to see the prize.
    It was cold enough that i wish i had my gloves and a thermal
    Couple younger stags going last night but they were safe from me location and been to young.
    Then my evening changed with a couple parries trying there best to ruin it, i managed to tip over not a bad buck.
    I still haven't learnt about hunting on week nights when you have work the next day
    Back out there tonight
    tetawa and Micky Duck like this.

In the ruahines today,there was no roaring but I did get some lazy replys from a stag from few roars I did while sitting down to lunch.got into a position and got my boy to stay back and roar while I moved in to deal with him,my boys roars sounded sketchy as it was his first time trying it,i got to within 15 yards of the stag as it walked past me below in some thick crap moving towards my boy,couldnt get a shot.
    got back to my boy and the first thing he said was why didn't you leave me the gun haha the stag and a second stag came right into him and he watched them for about a minute at 20 yards until they moved off,he said they didn't spook but didn't know what was up,as the wind was perfect.his roars can't have been to shabby.
    So they don't seem to be going properly yet but are starting to get into it.Apiti area.
    7mmsaum, tetawa, GWH and 10 others like this.