Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 66 of 68 FirstFirst ... 165253545556575859606162636465666768 LastLast
Like Tree1592Likes

Thread: How's the recon going for the roar?

Been into St James tonight seen and heard nothing at all.
    MCCPRO likes this.

Out for a look in North Canterbury last night. Saw a reasonable stag with four hinds but he had jumped the fence onto private land so didn’t have a closer look at him to see how good he was.

Saw at least 10 other hinds, but all either on their own or in pairs - no boyfriends in sight.

Nothing at all heard after dark, so action still a way off here I think.
    outdoorlad likes this.

Well done 30late,nice eater.

Banned
    Heard one single moan at first light Mt Oxford bush faces yesterday morning. If I had been on his ridge in the bush a smidge earlier ( in the dark ) probably would have got a look. No wallows being used

Greetings All,
    O joy. Just logged on to the Hastings District Council to find that the Taihape Road is OPEN. A quick check on the DoC website shows the Lakes Road carpark is also open. Mid week grandpa walks on the Kuri Hill track can now resume after a gap of 40 days. There must be something significant about that number. The northern road ends will be shut for a while yet though.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    30late likes this.

Stags going this morning blowing it arse off and a real swirly wind made it impossible to hunt and hard to hear them roaring, got within 20m from one in the bush for the wind to swirl. Seen not a bad character stag out on the farm.
    Micky Duck likes this.

[QUOTE=turtle;1429501]No roaring but had been tearing up the turf up Greymouth way on DOC land

180gr corelokt .308 110m through both shoulders dropped on the spot, surprisingly little meat damage impressed

You probably did the local genetics a favour removing him from the gene pool....!!!
    Micky Duck likes this.

Went up st james a week or so ago, nothing heard.
    Meant to get up this week but caught the flu.
    Hoping there is something making a noise

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk
    Happy Jack likes this.

Was in the Tararuas last night. No roars. Lots of pig sign and fresh deer tracks 400m from the car *doh*

Identify your target beyond all doubt because you never miss (right?) and I'll be missed.
    MCCPRO likes this.

Went up north canterbury public land on Friday night. Saw one half decent stag but to far with that front that was coming in. Heard a dozen or so different stags roaring but majority of that over the course of the night. One more week of work and then into it properly

Quote Originally Posted by Dingo View Post
    Went up north canterbury public land on Friday night. Saw one half decent stag but to far with that front that was coming in. Heard a dozen or so different stags roaring but majority of that over the course of the night. One more week of work and then into it properly
    Was that you I saw heading into the Edwards about 9.15 Friday night? I was heading home if it was you.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Morning hunt today and heard a couple of moans in the distance that I couldn't track down. I collected my game cameras but nothing of great interest on them.
    Name:  PICT0008 (2).JPG
Views: 778
Size:  1.20 MB
    Name:  PICT0018 (2).JPG
Views: 768
Size:  1.19 MB
    Typical Nelson.
    Tahr, Micky Duck and Billbob like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Greetings All.
    Normal service has resumed on the Kuri hill track. Taihape Road from HB to Castle Rocks Road has numerous washouts, all well signposted. Castle Rocks Road and Lakes Road are fine with minimal damage, just the usual pot holes. The Kiwi Saddle track as far as the low trig was fine as well. Hastings District Council has the road as open on their website so I ignored the road closed sign at the old Forestry camp. Looking forward to another grandpa walk next week. Might even take a rifle.
    GPM.
    BSA, Shearer, bumblefoot and 6 others like this.

Been out twice since last time, two different areas that normally produce this time of year. No roaring at all, dead as. Not much stag sign either.
    Very disappointing. Last year had a stag down and heard stags going off in 4 different areas, this year a couple roars on that last trip otherwise nothing , not a sound in 4 trips.

In saying that my mate on a private block that backs onto DOC heard at least 10 stags going nuts at night. saw a number of deer in the thermal
    Micky Duck likes this.

Came across this today.

Sent from my SM-G525F using Tapatalk
    Sideshow and Micky Duck like this.