Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Hummel

Gone but not forgotten
    You are hunting on the wrong side of the deerfence!

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    You are hunting on the wrong side of the deerfence!
    I always hunt on the rite side going up & the rite side coming down ...
    Moa Hunter and Fireflite like this.
    The Green party putting the CON in conservation since 2017

Banned
    [QUOTE=Boaraxa;814505]
    Quote Originally Posted by Stocky View Post
    Heard somewhere severe malnutrition in their first year when they develop pedicles can cause this too. Not sure if its true

Maybe someone shot there moma,s ! I read that somehere to but I think it’s a little coincidental to see a mature stag/Hummel 2 roars ago & now finding more of them around that 1-2 year old age bracket.
    He hasn't formed a proper coronet, which he would do if those bumps were stunted antlers. A farm stag that damages it's nuts it will keep on growing heads of velvet but each head gets smaller. So what we see in the photos isn't what we would expect to see with damaged nuts. Hummel Dummel ??
    Boaraxa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stocky View Post
    Heard somewhere severe malnutrition in their first year when they develop pedicles can cause this too. Not sure if its true
    This is similar to what I have been told. If you have a male fawn that loses its mum (Hind) and is weaned too early, its first year it winds up struggling and more likely malnourished. If it survives the season to become a yearling stag and the pedicle has not formed properly then it will never develop antlers. Whether this propensity is hereditary or not I do not know, but if it is not pumping all the seasons feed into antler growth, do they grow more body / meat?
    Boaraxa likes this.

I shot one in 1981 at Arthur's Pass at a time when deer numbers were very low.

Plenty down here mate. Waikaia, Catlins, Western Southland its quite common. Too much inbreeding probably.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    Plenty down here mate. Waikaia, Catlins, Western Southland its quite common. Too much inbreeding probably.
    That the deer or the hunters....

We shot one coming into a roar in the back valley Te Anau.
    Have heard of the odd whitetail to but never seen one myself.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    This is similar to what I have been told. If you have a male fawn that loses its mum (Hind) and is weaned too early, its first year it winds up struggling and more likely malnourished. If it survives the season to become a yearling stag and the pedicle has not formed properly then it will never develop antlers. Whether this propensity is hereditary or not I do not know, but if it is not pumping all the seasons feed into antler growth, do they grow more body / meat?
    It will still grow antlers but will never achieve / reach it's genetic potential. Pedicle development is initiated at around 90 days from birth and nutritional stress at this time will affect antler size for the rest of the animals life BUT it wont prevent it from growing antlers. The fact that the stag in the photo has no coronet shows that the little stubs he has are not true antlers. If they were antlers the coronet would have hardened off by now. Common to see fallow spikers with tiny little spikes 50mm long coming out of a little coronet.
    veitnamcam likes this.

We see about 7 or 8 a year try to shoot them out prob I have is its a bit of a waste this time of year but left they seem to vanish mostly it is genetic occasionally it is petical damage to

I saw one with a couple of hinds two or three years ago, lucky it didnt get a its beans but was too slow because i thought at first was looking at a huge hind

a mate of mine shot a fallow hummel in northern southland last year, he said it was nearly the size of a red stag.

I shot one locally a few years back. It was the best "eater" we've ever had... he was big and fat, weighing in at about 150kg. Took two of us to load it on the back of the flatdeck.

Enjoy those backsteaks!!