Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Hunter down.

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    Unfortunately, unless everyone else on the same block as the guy with the sensor is wearing a vest, then it aint going to work.
    I could see it becoming compulsory on some private blocks maybe, and the likes of Woodhill springs to mind. But getting a system of any kind to work on public land is never really going to happen without legislation.
    Yes, and if the sensor does not go off, it may lead to the shooter being even more careless - "no sensor-so must be a deer".
    Everyone is entitled to their own stupid opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Rusky View Post
    I was in Toatoa last weekend hunting. Scary stuff alright and always seems to be hunters shooting guys from their hunting party.
    I spend a bit of time there also Rusky. Last roar I spent the whole time running away from people. Not going back there at this time of the year!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lentil View Post
    I spend a bit of time there also Rusky. Last roar I spent the whole time running away from people. Not going back there at this time of the year!!!
    Yep i hear you Lentil. The ratio of deer to humans hunting seems high down there. I'll stick to my scrubby kaimai deer
    Bryan likes this.

bloody good idea...im keen if it stops me getting a bullet

Quote Originally Posted by Rusky View Post
    Yep i hear you Lentil. The ratio of deer to humans hunting seems high down there. I'll stick to my scrubby kaimai deer
    If you see a dude 5ft 10 with an orange hat that looks a bit lost - please don't shoot him ...
    Last edited by Petros_mk; 02-04-2014 at 09:41 AM.

This is bad for all hunters, not just the people amd families concerned.

Not jumping to any assumptions on anything yet.

Overall, this is a great time of year to avoid the bush in all honesty. Not that I actually have much choice this year.

Sent from my work phone while in Germany, dam it!!!!!

Since nearly all shooting accidents are caused by someone in your hunting party I can see iris being effective if you and your crew are wearing it. Doesn't need every single person wearing it but obviously that would be the goal. Even just having something like that visible on your rifle would make the shooter that more switched on to identify the target, it's a physical reminder every time you look a t it.
    ebf likes this.

Sorry for my earlier error. My phone entered Mamaku by auto predict and I lost reception to edit...?!! Delete.

This is my first "Roar" since loosing my uncle when I was 12. Same party, three of us.
    Absolutely terrible for the families directly affected.
    I am one weary prick this time of year.

Dan M
    Petros_mk, Munsey and Scouser like this.
    Dan M

Quote Originally Posted by Petros_mk View Post
    If you see a dude 5ft 10 with an orange hat that looks a bit lost - please don't shoot him ...
    At that height I wont see you above the supplejack any way

Roar 2012 in the Kaimanawas on clements rd there were 52 cars parked, the road is 21 kms long . I don't know how close I was to other hunters, but I seen know 1 in the bush while hunting. One thing is for sure, if the deer are not out in the open or right in front of you Do Not Shoot at movement . If you hunt with me I have a personel rule .If you don't like it, don't make a mistake. Identify you target beyond any doubt .

Accidents will happen and will keep on happening .Making an example of someone wont change things .Sending them to jail wont help ,Banning firearms wont help. Education on training before you receive your Firearms licence will help. If not why do we have training for a drivers Licence {You are better to save a Life than take it }

Quote Originally Posted by kawekakid View Post
    Roar 2012 in the Kaimanawas on clements rd there were 52 cars parked, the road is 21 kms long . I don't know how close I was to other hunters, but I seen know 1 in the bush while hunting. One thing is for sure, if the deer are not out in the open or right in front of you Do Not Shoot at movement . If you hunt with me I have a personel rule .If you don't like it, don't make a mistake. Identify you target beyond any doubt .

Accidents will happen and will keep on happening .Making an example of someone wont change things .Sending them to jail wont help ,Banning firearms wont help. Education on training before you receive your Firearms licence will help. If not why do we have training for a drivers Licence {You are better to save a Life than take it }
    yea man lets face it the mountain safty course you do when you first get it is pretty crap from memory
    OPCz

If in doubt double tap

TJM
    Im beginning to have my doubts about Blaze orange, was starting to wear the Orange hunting caps but may be blue is better?

Quote Originally Posted by TJM View Post
    Im beginning to have my doubts about Blaze orange, was starting to wear the Orange hunting caps but may be blue is better?
    I still like Blaze Orange - but it must be new-not old and faded to a browny orange. I have a really bright orange vest which I put on over top of my orange top. I had a hind looking around two days ago, and I was out fairly open. She never saw me, and I was about 80 metres away in a creek bed. I believe the deer can see in the blue spectrum, but not in the red. I will stick to my orange thanks.