Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree132Likes

Thread: hunter down :(

Should add to the above. I know of some people who pride themselves on being able to spot and shoot obscured deer in heavy bush, at times only seeing an eye etc. This is an example of one of those pathways clearly heading fpr disaster. Statistically it could take a lot of deer for an injury or close call to happen but one is too many.
    GWH likes this.

R93
    It is the perception one has of a NZDA member mate nothing else. Your right it doesn't matter what club you belong to at all. But in this case it will be a big deal to the media.
    Hope I am wrong but I doubt it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Media wont care, the royals are in town and they dont have time for real news

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have experienced buck graver first hand on a hare drive . Was a club organised drive 60 -70 guns . The senior club rep have this fire and brimstone speech about safety that went on and on etc and the new guys must obey the rules etc . The rules are for those don't no is a line of guns ( back stop. ) and a line of guns approach backstop . You can not shoot forward only behind . Simple . You think . Well the muppet who did the speach forgot the rules , and when the line me included got to about 50 paces , he swung his gun at a hare directly at us .?his eyes where like saucers and he was blind to see a wall of people yelling and screaming don't shoot don't shoot . The hare ducked and dived and he never shot . Very scary moment .
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    It is the perception one has of a NZDA member mate nothing else. Your right it doesn't matter what club you belong to at all. But in this case it will be a big deal to the media.
    Hope I am wrong but I doubt it.

With out even trying to you are Tahring the NZDA and all its members with the same brush Dave. I get your point on the media and its right.
    But I respectfully disagree with the rest as it was Human error not NZDA error.

R93
    Never said it was NZDA error.
    I am talking about perception nothing else.

Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

In my opinion,New Zealand has become vastly over populated very quickly. This obviously leads to all sorts of mishaps occurring, vehicular, firearm and otherwise . The roads of yester year are unable to accommodate the rate of traffic flow and the few remaining deer that survive the culling, 1080, tree clearing etc. are desperately hunted with unfortunate and predictable results sometimes.
    The bad news is that non of the mayhem we experience will subside, but it's almost certain to esculate in proportion to the increase of human beings on this mortal coil.

I'm not sure there's magic pill that would stop this from ever happening. In my mind this sort of thing is similar to a traffic incident from a couple of years ago when a teenager ran a red light at high speed in a stolen car and killed a guy. Completely avoidable, all he had to do was stop for the red light. But he didn't. People with attitudes like this walk among us and as sad as that may be, they probably always will.

Wearing blaze may or may not help, that's a matter of opinion.
    More stringent requirements surrounding licensing may not help in cases like this, it's not as if the shooter lacked experience (though I think the current process is almost completely lacking). The type of firearms that are available to buy is most definitely not the problem, but I am sure you lot know that already.
    Harsher penalties would be nice, but they just don't stop some people. And I'm not saying these people are career criminals, but they are aware that actions have consequences.
    Maybe a different permit system (such as I believe is used on the DoC blocks in Warkworth?), where one party goes in at a time would help. Though that wouldn't stop those with no regard for rules.

I don't think I've ever seen anything on the telly about a hunter not identifying his target properly and killing someone, I mean something like an ad that the Transport Authority runs for people speeding or something. Maybe something like that would help.

Habits tend to stick with people: like someone previously wondered, how many deer has this guy taken on an assumption? Maybe zero, maybe heaps. Either way, he shot at sound or movement coming from someone, not a deer, and in the process has altered several lives forever.

The hunting fraternity in NZ is big, but I've only been on this forum a few months and it appears it is still a bloody small world, with only a few degrees of separation it would seem. How many of us discuss safe habits while we're in the hills, or even at the range? If we held each other accountable somehow, then headlines like this might pop up less often. Pull people up on the things they shouldn't be doing with a firearm, whether you know them or not; make damn sure that what you and your friend are about to fire at is in fact an animal, and I mean damn sure--gender, species, current activity etc before pulling the trigger. When you see someone starting out, advise them on safety, pass on tips. The current system means you can never have handled a firearm and be deemed an acceptable firearm owner! Start them on the right track from day one, hold them to that track and maybe the bush will be a safer place for us all.
    veitnamcam, R93, Munsey and 8 others like this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Well said.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynastar27 View Post
    yup you are right there Rushy but this is the time of year the once a year hunters come out
    and dont abide buy the 7 basic rules becasue they obviously have the " it wont happen to me " attitude
    Couldn't be fucked reading 5 pages but this fucks me off.

I don't believe this for a minute. Anyone can fuck it up at any time. ANYONE. Doesn't matter if you hunt every day or once a year, drink lattes or piss water waikatos. I personally don't know anyone who truly believes this could never happen to them, most of them 'once a year hunters', myself included.

7 basic rules. 7 BASIC RULES. Both BASIC and both RULES. It's those that choose not to follow them that make mistakes.

That's my angry morning rant any way.
    ARdave and Dynastar27 like this.

Anyone who thinks they may shoot someone in the bush at some time, should stay home.
    BRADS and Dynastar27 like this.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    Anyone who thinks they may shoot someone in the bush at some time, should stay home.
    Id be more worried about the type that says " that will never happen to me " .
    Savage1, ebf, GWH and 1 others like this.

Anyone who thinks that they are a not a vulnerable human being, who can not make an unexplainable mistake, should bury their rifles in concrete and go and see a counsellor.

If you can’t accept that anyone could shoot anyone by mistake, you simply lack the the self awareness to be allowed firearms.
    Nathan F, HUNTY, ebf and 4 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Anyone who thinks that they are a not a vulnerable human being, who can not make an unexplainable mistake, should bury their rifles in concrete and go and see a counsellor.

If you can’t accept that anyone could shoot anyone by mistake, you simply lack the the self awareness to be allowed firearms.
    Thats what I was trying to say. Better articulation of words.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan F View Post
    Id be more worried about the type that says " that will never happen to me " .
    That would depend on whether it was said with bravado/stupidity or with conviction of one's attitude/ self discipline.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.