Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
Like Tree132Likes

Thread: hunter down :(

Quote Originally Posted by misfire View Post
    the few remaining deer that survive the culling, 1080, tree clearing etc. are desperately hunted with unfortunate and predictable results sometimes.
    I would say there are a lot more deer round now than there was when I started hunting in the early 80's.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
    I would say there are a lot more deer round now than there was when I started hunting in the early 80's.
    I tend to agree Barefoot.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

R93
    It is truly piss easy to get deer now where I spend most of my time compared to the early and late eighties. There were fuck all dedicated hunters back then as it was to hard.
    I would struggle to remember going for a hunt in the last 10-15years without at least seeing an animal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    Anyone who thinks they may shoot someone in the bush at some time, should stay home.
    Totally disagree personally. I think anyone who is aware that there may be other people in their area that they may misidentify and therefore not assume it's the targeted animal and use that thought process of 'this may be a person' (or a another animal that they aren't after).

These people should be welcomed.

Being aware of the ability to make mistakes makes you actively pursue not making them.

They need to make the firearms 'test' a prerequisite to the seminar. Conducted like the lerners test, sit in the corner and do it in silence by yourself with no one coaching you.
    ebf and kiwigreen like this.

It should be remembered that Government deer culling ended in the 80's, therefore it's entirely possible that the deer numbers increased from almost f..k all thereafter. My point is that in proportion to the hunter/ deer success rate today, it's marginal for the run of the mill average Joe hunter. I have no doubt that those of us with above average skills and hunting areas available only to some of us, are more successful.

As far as automatic murder charges laid with regard burglars shot in South Africa... nope,it's up to the circumstance at the time. Mostly decided really quickly by the attending 'cops'. Africa is a very strange place...

I think we might be going around in circles a bit here, It seems we're all aware of the fact that we might encounter and intitially mis-identify other hunters in the bush but where we're getting mixed up is what happens at this stage.

I agree with Spook in that if you think there is a chance of you going out and shooting someone, bury your guns in a fuckin deep hole and seek psychiatric help.

But then I also see Nibblets point that we can all mis-identify what we have encountered, for instance I've seen deer and thought they were people. So if your aware of this and keep it in your mind you are more likely to take the time to clearly identify.

Id like to say it would never happen to me, for one I'm not and over-excitable chap and never really experienced full on buck fever, not even face to face with a good stag at 10m, and secondly I hunt were there are large amounts of wallabies that I often mistakenly stalk in on. I just dont see the point of letting a round off if for one you dont know what your shooting at and secondly you dont know where your going to hit it, its just a really fuckin stupid thing to do on so many levels.
    outdoorlad, Mac, Scouser and 1 others like this.

hunter down :(

There is a lot of true words posted here, however I can't help thinking when reading half of this that "we" are missing the point...
    Half the eggs I know that call themselves hunters should be fucken well given a decent lesson in manners, common sense, respect, beer drinking-rifle handling 101etc...
    I trust only one or two guys I know personally. Maybe a few more...but
    do you guys actually think half of you are that shit hot?
    In Rotorua, where egos rule supreme, it is almost embarrassing associating oneself as a pig hunter or even a hunter.

Egos aside; (mine will be soon).
    When I see a deer or a pig I firstly think "human or dog". I have been caught out many times now and the pig has crossed or the deer has spooked- there can be no other way. Can there?

Go well and go safely.

Dan
    Last edited by Danny; 16-04-2014 at 08:41 PM.
    Mac, Scouser, oneipete and 1 others like this.
    Dan M

hunter down :(

And it's not deer numbers or the lack there of that makes us do this. We have always done this.
    Barefoot likes this.
    Dan M

Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Check out the seven basic rules in my signature block Raymond. One of them had to be broken for this to occur. It is a sad thing when something like this occurs because in my view it did not need to happen.
    Couldn't agree more. If you can't be confident on making a clear shot on an animal to ensure a clean kill then why the F would you take the shot??? And if it's a person then someone sure as hell isn't identifying a clean kill shot let alone even identifying if it's the target species or not?! Just crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyone who has a firearm license must know the firearms laws. It is not that hard. Unfortunately there are exceptions. Sane people know they are out there for hunting a deer or two, not man hunting. It is not enough writing shit load of things only in the forums. The people who need to understand the importance of the firearms law, especially the rule no 4 (Identify the target beyond all doubt) are not the members of this forum. We need to do something to get this message throughout the country. As a responsible hunting community we need to do something rather than discussing this sitting on our couches. Its time to think about what can we do.
    Jo
    Identify your target beyond all doubt - No meat is better than no mate...