Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Hunter's Rain

Banned

Hunter's Rain

I was going to go hunting for a deer later this week, but the weather report says rain. I am tempted to not bother, but I reflected that when I have been out and had no choice about the matter that I have acutally had some fine success hunting in the rain.

I used to hunt a flat bit of ground on the west side of the island, not far from where I made a campsite. Open bush mostly, and where it wasn't you could still duck through some tunnels the deer had made. Deer trails in this place all seem to lead in one direction, to and from one clearing and over to one more smaller spot that I used to sit and wait for a deer to come out in the evening. I used to sit there under a bank, half-asleep cradling my rifle, with my one rule that I couldn't look until it was twilight. Then I would look over the top. A third of the time I would catch a hind feeding fifty metres away just outside the bush, or just inside. I never managed to shoot one, as chance would have it, but I liked knowing I could catch one out anyway, and never felt bad about it.
    When the weather was bad, driving rain and wind pushing the beech trees around I would stay "at home". But if it was light rain with no wind, I would get bored enough to get out and go and have a look anyway. I realised after a while that I have had the most success at pure bush hunting when I was working in light rain or drizzle, and with no wind.
    It seems that the rain meant the deer couldn't smell as well as they usually could. It seemed that they couldn't hear as well as usual either. I wear an old army goretex rain coat that is too noisy in the bush, but it never seemed to matter. They also seemed to be out and about in the rain throughout the day too.
    So I have decided to go hunting even if its raining, as long as its hunting rain.
    Like eskimos and their words for snow, we New Zealand hunters should have ten different names for rain. Light rain with no wind is called "Hunter's rain.'

K95
    When you can't see your outstretched hand, that's coaster's drizzle.
    veitnamcam, Scouser and Dawg like this.
    "Treat the Earth well. It was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children.”

When you look up and cop one fair in the mosh and it near drops ya. Thats fat rain
    madmaori likes this.

Caretaker
    Light drizzle is perfect for dropping Sika in light Manuka, they observe you as if they had never seen a human.
    Carpe Diem likes this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

23 December between 7pm and dark there was light rain. It freshened up all the grass and the deer came out in droves.Fascinating to watch with the Swaros.

Love hunting in the rain. Almost always have success, especially after a bit of a dry spell. The deer love dressing on their grass!
    Carpe Diem likes this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Bring the rain!!

Yep I think most of us would be stoked to see any kind of rain at the moment.
    Dundee and BRADS like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    I think I found duck hunters rain up in Kaweka. Cleared as I was walking out
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Caretaker
    It's been drizzle/cloud the last two days in the Kaweka high country
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

A good freshen up won't do any harm, eh. Should bring them out.

Biggest problem around here is when its rain there is little to no chance of a wind less then 10 - 15 mph
    DanS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    A good freshen up won't do any harm, eh. Should bring them out.
    They're forced out by the conditions regardless. Kaweka is pretty barren country and the Sika need to get in while the goings good. Mountain tutu is the pick of the crop but a bit of "dressing" always appears to make it that much sweeter. Any old scent is also knocked down (as I m sure you'll know) so give you a clean slate so to speak.
    7mmsaum likes this.

MSL
    Eastern kawekas is like a bloody desert up high, any kind of rain would be good for hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    Eastern kawekas is like a bloody desert up high, any kind of rain would be good for hunting.
    Mountain Daisy's, tussocks and shale are just as unappetising wet I'd guess.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds