Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree14Likes
  • 3 Post By Chur Bay
  • 5 Post By Nick-D
  • 1 Post By SmokeyJason
  • 1 Post By Apollo
  • 2 Post By Barry the hunter
  • 2 Post By SmokeyJason

Thread: Hunting Advice / Insight

Hunting Advice / Insight

Hi fellas,
    I’m new to hunting in NZ (I moved here 4 years ago) but I’ve been hunting since I was a whipper snapper. I’ve got my hunting permit sorted and all that good stuff and am planning on hunting the Tararuas (Carterton area).

My question is, do you just park your car up in the parking areas of the national parks ie. Waiohine River Carpark and trek through the bush, keeping clear of walking tracks? Or can you follow a walking track to a desired location and cut off into the bush to look for prey?
    Cheers.

Both. What prey are you after?
    If you are going into the bush make sure you know how to navigate .
    If you are new to hunting in NZ I suggest you take an NZDA HUNTS course.
    HG Man, Andygr and Apollo like this.

I’m mainly after deer, but if I can bag a pig or a goat that’ll be sweet. Fortunately I have experience with land navigation, so I’m not too stressed about that. But I’ll check out your suggestion for sure.

Take a GPS or get a GPS app on your phone. Navigating thick bush is different. Hard to index a landmark when you can see 20m max.

Generally on public land you are going to want to wander along the track for 45 or an hour then head into the Bush. Get on Google earth and look for some Likely areas a few ks into the Bush then go explore.

Get out there early walk the track in the dark and hunt a creek, slip or riverbed during the morning. Then Climb and hunt faces, ridges and saddles during the day, back to slips, riverbed and creeks in the evenings.

Bush hunting is a skill and it takes time to master.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    Generally on public land you are going to want to wander along the track for 45 or an hour then head into the Bush. Get on Google earth and look for some Likely areas a few ks into the Bush then go explore.

Get out there early walk the track in the dark and hunt a creek, slip or riverbed during the morning. Then Climb and hunt faces, ridges and saddles during the day, back to slips, riverbed and creeks in the evenings.
    That's some pretty sound advice to get you started Apolo. As long as you stay within you limitations of terrain and navigation it's all about getting out there and doing it. Once you spot your first deer in the new environment the next will be easier to spot...
    "Professionals are predictable but the world is full of dangerous amateurs"

My suggestion fwiw, head east. Much nicer bush ,basically no gorges to worry about and the hills are pretty easy.
    Apollo likes this.

Thanks SmokeyJason. How far east would you say?

Thanks Nick-D, you’re advice is definitely sound! I’ll be sure to implement it on my hunts! Much appreciated!
    Nick-D likes this.

It is fine being on NZ (DoC) walking tracks with a rifle (if that is your question). Check out the conditions on your hunting permit.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
    Hi fellas,
    I’m new to hunting in NZ (I moved here 4 years ago) but I’ve been hunting since I was a whipper snapper. I’ve got my hunting permit sorted and all that good stuff and am planning on hunting the Tararuas (Carterton area).

My question is, do you just park your car up in the parking areas of the national parks ie. Waiohine River Carpark and trek through the bush, keeping clear of walking tracks? Or can you follow a walking track to a desired location and cut off into the bush to look for prey?
    Cheers.
    I would seriously suggest you try to get someone who can hunt to take you out a few times to get you started - otherwise for you its going to be a long road - but in your favour is that there is a lot of deer around - see if someone on the forum would be kind enough to give you an introductory trip in your area - that will speed up your hunting career by years - good luck
    Moa Hunter and Oldbloke like this.

[QUOTE=Apollo;1412178]Thanks SmokeyJason. How far east would you say?

Haurangis, pick any public access. Let me know where once you decide area, not many places there that I haven't hunted.
    Chur Bay and ZQLewis like this.