Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree24Likes
  • 3 Post By choppypython
  • 2 Post By 16Tontovarish
  • 7 Post By stug
  • 2 Post By Trout
  • 2 Post By Uplandstalker
  • 5 Post By Micky Duck
  • 3 Post By Micky Duck

Thread: Hunting in Canterbury

Hunting in Canterbury

Hey fellas

Looking for some advice on hunting in Canterbury, in particular inland from chch central. I've just moved down here and am itching to get out. In the process of shipping my rifle down at the moment and want to have a go next weekend.

I've been looking at 13 mile bush/Broken river, sort of area as they seem to be the closest to where I am is it any good out there or should I head further into the alps?
    And this time of year should I be looking up on the tops or more focused down in the valleys/by the river? I've been trying to get my first deer for a wee while now but have only got as close as spooking a couple off so far so I'm still learning right now but I can shoot good.

So far I like the idea of heading in broken river around above lake lyndon as it looks nice and open from what I can see on the maps, might be easier to glass from out there? Are there any good 4x4 tracks that take you further in from the main road round there?

I'm used to trudging through the Tararuas up north and only being able to see for 50-100 yards so this will all be quite new to me. I've got a .308 P&H and can shoot accurately at 200Y but haven't had the ability to shoot at longer distances yet

Additionally if anyone is heading out at some point soon who knows the area and wouldn't mind me tagging along I'd love the opportunity, I'm still quite new to hunting so would be great to learn from someone with more experience

Cheers All
    Micky Duck, Rn-85 and liam_s like this.

Can't speak much to 13-mile bush as it's not my usual but if its anywhere like where I go it'll be dry and hot as hell. bring lots of water and look for animals near water.
    Ingrid 51 and choppypython like this.

Pretty much any Doc land in Canterbury has deer. Walk for 2-3 hrs, get on the tops with a good view and glass from about 2 hrs before dark. Deer will pop up anywhere. Don’t worry to much about water for deer, but your water supply is important

Thanks for the info, I always fill my 2L camelback up so should be algood. I'll get out for a nosey next weekend hopefully I'm able to come across something

Just watch the weather n river levels.800mm of rain in the alps.
    MAC and Black Rabbit like this.

Quite a few options within an hour or two from Christchurch. Deer numbers are high throughout the area. Not the the area above Lake Lyndon gets a lot of traffic, mainly mountain bikes, trampers and a few hunters. There are still deer about, but these get harder to catch them out in the open at shorter distances.
    Trout and TimC like this.

sent you a DM

VRE
    PM me��

Quote Originally Posted by VRE View Post
    PM me��
    Hey mate I've tried but it won't let me pm you

nah wont work till they have half dozen or so posts etc...

saw 13 this morning...2 on road and rest on private land..one came home to get out of the heat by hanging in mates chiller.
    fawns SHOULD be old enough to survive without mum any time soon..personally would shoot fawn first given the option..fawn=tasty and easy to carry LOL.
    Trout, RUMPY, choppypython and 2 others like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    Pretty much any Doc land in Canterbury has deer. Walk for 2-3 hrs, get on the tops with a good view and glass from about 2 hrs before dark. Deer will pop up anywhere. Don’t worry to much about water for deer, but your water supply is important
    I spent last night and this morning in a river bed which has a decent about of sign in if. Saw nothing. Wind was a bit shit, am I wasting my time at this time of year?

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

wind was a bit shite= wasting time ANY time of the years ANYWHERE..... deer dont hang around if get a whiff of human...and the ycertainly dont do it twice...the exception is beside a busy walking track...

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    wind was a bit shite= wasting time ANY time of the years ANYWHERE..... deer dont hang around if get a whiff of human...and the ycertainly dont do it twice...the exception is beside a busy walking track...
    In my walking I did find a clearing slightly above the river bed. Heaps if fresh sign. Not warm.but light brown, soft and slimey.

Weighing up jet time heading to the tops above the area or hiding on the edge of that clearing for next time.

It's nice.to have options.

I think with the wind the big river bed bowls can have wind heading all over the place. One moment it was perfect next it's 90degrees to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    Can you explain your point about beside a busy walking track. Are deer bolder there?

nope but they are used to seeing and smelling humans.....stopping can be your undoing...keep walking past and sneak back,or up n shoot fast before they vacate..... like roadside/farm deer/pigs/rabbits..they know a stopped vechille is trouble..keep it running and no door noise and they often stay put
    matagouri, Billbob and Husky1600#2 like this.