Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: hunting gear clothes

G'Day Rem700.270

Lots of different opinions on this one already, but that wont stop me giving you mine

I like the Stony creek micro trou, true they need a belt but I like to cover my chicken legs. I lalo added a button, domes are shit and was always giving way, possibly too many pies though! Not the best to be wearing if its super wet either, but they do dry out ok. I only wear short gaiters so like the extra protection they give me. I find they are good for scrambling around and climbing, seem to fit we well. I like the side vents on them to let heat out on a mild day or when climbing. They also seem to have held up ok, I am pretty tough on them.

I have had a hunters element XTR for a few months now, had it in some completely shit weather and it has kept me dry as a bone so far, excepting a bit of sweat on the inside. I like the flat profile, it has pit zips to let the heat out and I also like to adjustable hood. Finish is semi quiet, seems to dry out fine, will shed a bit of water before getting soaked. Good size pockets, could do with 1 pocket on the inside.

I do wear camo, rather be under the radar than having dudes pick me out in the bush, I do wear a blaze beanie at times more for warmth as it is the only 1 I have.

My advise is go with a good brand, get something that fits really well, always try jackets on with a couple of layers and check the hood for visibility and fit. I would avoid heavy brushed finish like swazi wapati coat, they get bloody heavy when wet and do take ages to dry out, pain if hunting for more than a day y trip. Get a longer coat rather than shorter, good for keeping the lower half dry and handy to be able to sit on a log,ground etc without getting a wet arse.

Anyway my thoughts, sure others will chime on in!

Cheers

Dino
    "If God wanted us to be vegetarian....why did he make meat taste so good?"

Ejected
    Yep, that blaze stands out like dogs balls alright, shame the deer didn't get warned to watch out for it this roar......

I just mix and match what ever is lying around my room on the day. I do prefer ''quiet'' clothing that doesn't make too much noise when I'm walking...but I really don't care what I wear or look like. I've got everything from swazi gear right through to stuff from the bargain bin at the Warehouse and I have no real favourites. End of the day it all gets ripped when crawling through the thick shit anyway, so I tend to buy lower priced stuff now and replace it more often.

Although I do have the new XTR rain jacket which I do like as it works better in the rain than my Tahr anorak does and doesn't gain much weight when wet.

So, just wear what ever you feel comfortable in...and hunt into the wind, as the wind will betray you well before the colour of your clothes ever will.

kj
    Last edited by kimjon; 28-04-2013 at 11:15 AM.

Whatever suits you man. I hunt in an old lightweight drizabone and stubbies. Occasionally accompanied by thermal leggings and never had an issue. My mate has a nice huntech jacket and gets same results. All preference man. Just try hide white skin

Sent from my Browning

Quote Originally Posted by deer243 View Post
    Crap advice right there on placing very little emphasis on colour. Of cause you could wear anything and still get close to a deer etc but colour is important as some colours stand out way more to a deer than others, more so to the contrast of the things around you hence a deer will see the movement of you far better when it sees something that sticks out differently . A deer will pick up your face and hands at times because of the contrast and see the movement easier and hence spook it where if you had them covered you prob get away with it. Blue is a shocking colour as deer can see it for miles and will pick up movement of you more easierly. Great for others to see thou but in the end people tend to get shot in the bush wearing colours that arent clearly a deer colour anyway so no matter what colour you wear its not always going to save you. You still get deer wearing anything, esp if they didnt see you anyway when you appear over the ridge etc but i bet your blue blaze on it that wearing blue will increase your chances of a deer seeing you and wandering off without you even knowing that it had seen you. Hence why some people think wearing blue is ok, i got a deer after 4 hours stalking etc when it reality could be quite likely you could of got two before that if you were wearing something better. If you that safety minded its pointless wearing blue unless your back pack and hat, pants etc are colours as well that a human cant mistake for a deer. Dress as a smurf and you be good. In the end deer arent green, so i just wear the standard green or camo gear as thats not a deer colour is it.
    I would disagree again.
    Deer been shot in new zealand long before all these pop up hunting shops have said you wont catch this if you dont wear this.
    Even ducks dont give a shit. i shot plenty in a yellow raincoat
    Neckshot likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 6MMBR View Post
    I would disagree again.
    Deer been shot in new zealand long before all these pop up hunting shops have said you wont catch this if you dont wear this.
    FUCK OATS
    The deer I've shot in just rugby shorts,see them before they see you job done son
    Sent from my HUAWEI Y210-0100 using Tapatalk 2
    JoshC and SIKAHUNTER like this.

This year and most previous I have shot up to half a dozen deer a month, sometimes more, none have given two shits about what I'm wearing, most of them have been stalked in open country, or on clearings, and most while wearing my favourite work wear...blue levi or RMW jeans.

It does not matter what you wear to hunt in, deer have relatively poor eyesight. They respond to movement or shapes that do not blend into the surrounding environment, hence why you use bushes or rocks etc to break your silhouette and never skyline yourself in a hunting situation. The amount of deer stalked and shot while the hunter wears a blue or red checked swannie would top the thousands. A lot of my mates are hunters but also farmers, they often wear shorts and a check shirt hunting and most shoot dozens of deer, pigs, tahr, chamois each year.

If you're going to invest in gear, invest in quality. Gear takes a hammering in the scrub, mediocre garments fall to bits quickly. Why spend half the money on a cheaper similar product, only to have to replace that garment 3 times in the life of a higher quality more expensive item. Sure some companies will replace their garments if they fall to bits, but that sh*t pisses me off. Its time and effort wasted, and is unnecessary.

For me when spending a full day out hunting I'll generally wear normal long johns under huntech or swazi shorts. A thermal tee as a base layer, with a Sitka, Swazi or Huntech fleece top. I virtually live in my Swazi Severn, wear it most days at work in the office, truck, on the farm, in the scrub, etc. It is still in great condition after 6 years! Huge variety of jackets out there, I personally own Swazi gear because it is not THAT much more expensive than other hunting gear, lasts well, and its made here in NZ. For evening/morning hunts I'll throw on a pair of jeans or moleskins, any old jersey and go for a walk. Drybum fleece pants are pretty good for cold morning hunts too.

I do recommend a blaze item if you're hunting popular country, a vest is sufficient, or even a hat, although this hasn't seemed to stop the idiots failing to identify their targets and shooting their mates in the past. If I was to highly recommend one thing, that would be to invest in DECENT socks for hunting in, especially of you plan on doing plenty of walking. You won't go anywhere if your feet are buggered on a hunting trip. Bridgedales are a great investment.
    Last edited by JoshC; 19-12-2013 at 12:42 PM.
    sako75 and BRADS like this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

R93
    Totally agree. It does not matter what you wear if you are employing the basics right. I hunt in what to me is comfortable and suitable for the task. Mainly in neutral colours or even camo.
    I am positive if the mozzies and sandies were not an issue, I could shoot an animal starkers. Almost did it for Mark Ellis's Nude day once. But someone informed me, the rear view, was as bad a the front
    I never wear blaze as I never have to hunt areas that are hammered. I can count on one hand how many times I have run into someone on the hill in over 30yrs. Pretty sure, nearly every time, I was in the Kaimanawas
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Totally agree. It does not matter what you wear if you are employing the basics right. I hunt in what to me is comfortable and suitable for the task. Mainly in neutral colours or even camo.
    I am positive if the mozzies and sandies were not an issue, I could shoot an animal starkers. Almost did it for Mark Ellis's Nude day once. But someone informed me, the rear view, was as bad a the front
    I never wear blaze as I never have to hunt areas that are hammered. I can count on one hand how many times I have run into someone on the hill in over 30yrs. Pretty sure, nearly every time, I was in the Kaimanawas
    The idea of hunting in the nude is down right frightening. I wouldn't want to get big Rushy and the twins tangled up in bush lawyer and the thought of a stab of Ongaonga on the knob end is just eye watering. I am happy to leave that malarky to yo R93.
    veitnamcam and kiwi39 like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Apparently the receptors in a deers eyes they can see both shades of red/orange & blue according to the experts.
    Deer see blue and ultraviolet very well. Watch the washing powders with colour brighteners - they have a UV reflecting or radiating substance which make you glow like a beacon to a deer, especially in low light. They also see green. Red and orange (yellow too) appears green to them. Blaze orange is a mix of red and green and probably orange too so it will look bright green to deer. Better than bright blue. I'd think the trick would be to hide the hands and face. The torso doesn't move around so much. I'm in communication with one fellow who says he's walked among deer and they did not recognize him as being different to them. He responded to their stomping by stomping back which settled them. He never shot one under these conditions, just observed them and let them be.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 20-12-2013 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 6MMBR View Post
    I would disagree again.
    Never seen any in a yellow raincoat up this way - we breed 'em tough.
    veitnamcam and 308 like this.
    Everyone is entitled to their own stupid opinion

Shows how good a yellow raincoat hides them.
    veitnamcam likes this.

I'm in communication with one fellow who says he's walked among deer and they did not recognize him as being different to them. He responded to their stomping by stomping back which settled them. He never shot one under these conditions, just observed them and let them be.[/QUOTE]

I would love to do that. Amazing

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by deepsouthaussie View Post
    I'm in communication with one fellow who says he's walked among deer and they did not recognize him as being different to them. He responded to their stomping by stomping back which settled them. He never shot one under these conditions, just observed them and let them be.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

The deer whisperer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post

The deer whisperer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

I rekon Dynamo could pull a deer out of a hat. Probably be more chance if seeing that in my life time.