Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: hunting in the Hapuakohe and kaimai ranges?

Just thought id tag on the bottom so it doesn't make a new thread.

Went up the Kaimais on Monday morning, just trying to find out areas where the deer are, as i know little about where they are up there. Walked in at 5am and heard 1 run off just as we entered the bush. As it was pitch black, no sign off it but all good. After a few hours found an area with lots of relatively fresh poo, maybe a few days old ish. Wondered around a bit more, and as we were going up out of a creek, we came across a very fresh one. Picked it up, squashed it and smelt it. We think it was about 10-20mins old, as it was very soft, wet and smelt very strong. We sat and listened but no noise, then after about 10 mins carried on. About 1 hour later we then heard one down below us about 30-40 meters. Tried to get closer and see it, but bush was very thick and it wasn't hanging around. Tried to stalk it but to no avail.

So no deer, but had a great 9 hours in the bush. We got lost for a while (about 4 hours), but the old compass and map got us home. Had a swim in a water hole.
    Def go back in soon for another look. Might go up in the roar too.

Sniper.

PS. How old roughly is poo if it is blackish, a little hard on the outside, but still fairly easy to squash in your fingers?

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    depends on what you ate an drank
    , as for squashing it between my fingers, normaly I just usually use toilet paper
    Neckshot and phillipgr like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
    Just thought id tag on the bottom so it doesn't make a new thread.

Went up the Kaimais on Monday morning, just trying to find out areas where the deer are, as i know little about where they are up there. Walked in at 5am and heard 1 run off just as we entered the bush. As it was pitch black, no sign off it but all good. After a few hours found an area with lots of relatively fresh poo, maybe a few days old ish. Wondered around a bit more, and as we were going up out of a creek, we came across a very fresh one. Picked it up, squashed it and smelt it. We think it was about 10-20mins old, as it was very soft, wet and smelt very strong. We sat and listened but no noise, then after about 10 mins carried on. About 1 hour later we then heard one down below us about 30-40 meters. Tried to get closer and see it, but bush was very thick and it wasn't hanging around. Tried to stalk it but to no avail.

So no deer, but had a great 9 hours in the bush. We got lost for a while (about 4 hours), but the old compass and map got us home. Had a swim in a water hole.
    Def go back in soon for another look. Might go up in the roar too.

Sniper.

PS. How old roughly is poo if it is blackish, a little hard on the outside, but still fairly easy to squash in your fingers?
    Nice work Sniper. It looks as though you've found yourself a spot to return to and get to know better. That's essentially what I've been trying to do a bit in the Kaimais, so I can have success later on. Flick me a PM sometime if you're stuck for someone to head out with.
    Yeah nah bro

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Gapped axe View Post
    depends on what you ate an drank
    , as for squashing it between my fingers, normaly I just usually use toilet paper
    Yeah, i usually use paper but we were in the bush

if you find a stray soc or to up there,
    its not a good area no deer

Brother and I took his boy up there a few years ago for an overnight hunt on a quad from the Waikato side. Partway up on the left is an area off the track where you can have a bit of fun in a 4WD. We went up a side creek which brought us out onto the open tops. We got stuck in 2 places. One required both of us with a rope around a tree and his boy on the throttle to get us up so don't try it on your own. Once on the tops watch for "potholes" in the long grass.
    At dusk we were sitting on a vantage point a way off from where the tent was and saw a couple of guys walking along. Blaze orange sticks out a mile at this time of day. They came up on a couple of bikes. Their theory is the deer come out 15min after the last bird stops chirping. Not so this weekend. We did find a salt lick up there.
    If you are farming there, approach some of the other farmers whose land borders Hapuakohe for access. All the best.

Spook - I might take you up on the offer later in the year

Quote Originally Posted by sako75 View Post
    Brother and I took his boy up there a few years ago for an overnight hunt on a quad from the Waikato side. Partway up on the left is an area off the track where you can have a bit of fun in a 4WD. We went up a side creek which brought us out onto the open tops. We got stuck in 2 places. One required both of us with a rope around a tree and his boy on the throttle to get us up so don't try it on your own. Once on the tops watch for "potholes" in the long grass.
    At dusk we were sitting on a vantage point a way off from where the tent was and saw a couple of guys walking along. Blaze orange sticks out a mile at this time of day. They came up on a couple of bikes. Their theory is the deer come out 15min after the last bird stops chirping. Not so this weekend. We did find a salt lick up there.
    If you are farming there, approach some of the other farmers whose land borders Hapuakohe for access. All the best.

Spook - I might take you up on the offer later in the year
    The area you went to is usually referred to as the "hundred acres". You can still get quads up there but it is a mission. Much easier and quicker to walk. If camping up there be sure to remove your head lamp if the spot lighters are out and about...even turned off they give a reflection...and be ready to return fire if they keep searching with the light in your direction.
    There is a poled track, 'the north/south track', running the full length of the hundred acres and is used frequently by trampers and hunters and DoC rules apply to the use of firearms in it's vacinity.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.