Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree23Likes
  • 20 Post By Scott Cowan
  • 3 Post By yogi

Thread: Hunting with health issues

Hunting with health issues

Heath effect us all at some point, hunting wisely can take a bit to do but it’s worth it to be able to keep hunting as we age I reckon. I’ve had a few things going on Health wise for the last 5 years, mostly related to gut health, but that has effected other areas. I can get a racing heart, elevated anxiety, intestinal pain, dizzy spells and light headed. All from the food I eat.. especially when the adrenaline levels are up. So while i get this manageable I do my bit to stay fit and been hunting out in the open the last couple years. Along with carrying a plb.
    So after returning from a recent roar trip the oldest of our crew seemed a bit off colour, he just said he had a few hard walks and took a few days to recover… when he got home and mowed the lawn he had pain across his shoulders, he has a few injuries so shrugged it off. Few days later he went for another hunt, came up out of a steep gut, feeling fine. Ate his lunch and walk back down hill to the bike… didn’t feel flash with a few chest pains.
    Next day while driving had some more pain and that night ended up in AnE thanks to his good wife who checked his bp. So today I got word that they finally saw him in Waikato after 10days waiting in Gisborne hospital. Did their checks and put in two stents. I’ll find out more tomorrow when I ring him. But it’s a good reminder to take health seriously and get checked to keep things safe. He’s 67. The 50yo of our team had a massive heart attack at the gym 2 years ago while training for a bodybuilding comp. Fit as. Dropped dead in the shower and was pulled out purple 8 min later. Defibrillator on hand saved his life. 3 stents put in as he had 1 complete blocked and two partials. good rest, good drs and loads of prayer later he’s back fighting fit, but it was touch n go for the first week or two. Thank God it happened at the gym and not while he was out hunting by himself which he often does. So the moral of the story is get checked up if you’re feeling off. Hunt safely. Carry a Plb and don’t push too hard when your inner better judgment says take it easy… find an easier deer with less carry. Best you return home to your loved ones rather than have a mishap.

Your health is something you simply take for granted and it comes as quite a shock when something goes wrong.
    None of us know what's round the corner.
    Alot of us don't like to go to the doctor for various reasons, but suspect it's because we just don't want to face the possibility that something could be wrong.