Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Hunting in the Kaimai ranges

I keep a compass taped too my stock . Nothing better and quicker for keeping you heading the way you want .
    johnino likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    You can go a long way on those old tracks & tramways in a short time.Very easy to get disoriented when the cloud comes down ,very good reason to own a GPS .
    Are you kidding? Im yet to see this mythical things

Quote Originally Posted by mohawk View Post
    I keep a compass taped too my stock . Nothing better and quicker for keeping you heading the way you want .
    I would have thought the metal in your rifle would stuff the compass up
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Nup , mauser is good and stainless rossi lever shouldn't be too magnetic anyway.
    Try it and see , you will know soon enough.

I made a.cute little leather thingy for the 357.Name:  20140421_114355.jpg
Views: 942
Size:  165.9 KBName:  20140421_114424.jpg
Views: 926
Size:  119.3 KB
    Bryan, Barefoot, Pengy and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Twoshotkill View Post
    Take some garden sikateas..(spelling) with you !!! You will know why when you get there!!!
    Nuthin wurst than badd speeln huntrs - tha choppy things r ....... "Secateurs"

Get a good pair as you will be needing them
    also having some form of holster for them makes life simpler

Quote Originally Posted by Twoshotkill View Post
    Take some garden sikateas..(spelling) with you !!! You will know why when you get there!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eyesplice View Post

I have killed a few secatears in the kaimais

Im yet to understand how people get lost, with all respect. Me and a mate were hunting Pureora a few years back. Neither of us are what you would call experienced hunters. We walked around for about 6ish hours and god knows how many Km. We never used the map, and the GPS wouldn't get a signal. We just used our 'mangation'. Turned up about 200m from the truck when we got back to the road. Never once were we worried about getting stuck in there overnight. I get you can get lost, but it really does come down to preparation and common sense.
    The Kaimais is pretty basic really. If your lost lost, follow a creek out or keep going down hill. It will lead to a road at some stage. Same goes for MT Taranaki. Walk down hill.
    Fiords, Uru etc a bit different. But if your hunting the really big ones, you need to sort it out before hand and be on to it.

Having been called out to search for the same pair of pig hunters on two occasions, in the same catchment, I can assure you that "Mangation" doesnt always work. And yes, they are locals.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
    Im yet to understand how people get lost, with all respect. Me and a mate were hunting Pureora a few years back. Neither of us are what you would call experienced hunters. We walked around for about 6ish hours and god knows how many Km. We never used the map, and the GPS wouldn't get a signal. We just used our 'mangation'. Turned up about 200m from the truck when we got back to the road. Never once were we worried about getting stuck in there overnight. I get you can get lost, but it really does come down to preparation and common sense.
    The Kaimais is pretty basic really. If your lost lost, follow a creek out or keep going down hill. It will lead to a road at some stage. Same goes for MT Taranaki. Walk down hill.
    Fiords, Uru etc a bit different. But if your hunting the really big ones, you need to sort it out before hand and be on to it.
    In actual fact, both you and your mate were lost...everyone will tell you that when lost you will walk in circles...you just had a six hour circle.
    Barefoot likes this.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    Having been called out to search for the same pair of pig hunters on two occasions, in the same catchment, I can assure you that "Mangation" doesnt always work. And yes, they are locals.
    Some years ago my son and I were hunting in a catchment where a police officer from Tauranga had become lost some months previous. He was found almost naked with his survival blanket around his head and both feet soaking in the stream. He had lost the plot along with his clothes and rifle. He had been in the NZ army previous to being a policeman. From the head of the catchment we could see a haybarn in the distance...of course he would not of seen this if the cloud was down or he was in the creek bed. I would have thought that with all the training and experience of life that he had had, that this would not happen to him. It goes to show that when the shit goes down in the bush all sorts of strange things happen in one's mind if we allow it to.
    Pengy likes this.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

I get lost in the bush with a GPS! Seriously though, you can take a bearing and keep heading that direction and eventually you will come out somewhere. I did a circle in there yesterday not far from the track in the fog. GPS sorted me on the right heading.
    phillipgr likes this.

I think there's a difference between being lost and disorientated. Every so often I pull my compass up and say "I swear north isnt that direction" but you gotta learn to turn that off and trust your compass. If you panic when you get disorientated, thats when it goes down hill.

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2
    Barefoot likes this.
    Yeah nah bro

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

Nah I wouldn't say we were lost at all. We just knew we went over this ridge, down this creek, up another ridge, sidled around a bit. We always new roughly witch way to go. Kept an eye on the sun, used it as a rough compass and walah, Mr Truck. Don't see the point in walking out the way you walked in. But I get what your saying, and we don't hunt like that anymore.