Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By bawlbag
  • 2 Post By Tentman
  • 2 Post By bawlbag
  • 1 Post By Tentman
  • 1 Post By Tentman
  • 1 Post By deer243

Thread: Hunting in the Malborough Sounds

Question Hunting in the Malborough Sounds

Hows it fellas,

just bought a place in the Wakamarina valley ( one over from the Rai ) and was wondering if anyone on here hunts down there.

Looking for some advice and maybe a buddy to go for walks with.

Buzz me if you could help.

Cheers
    Shearer likes this.

@deer243 could be your man......perhaps???

I was brought up in that area - went to Canvastown School, our family farmed in the Pelorus and Rai Valleys for 5 generations. Our farm backed the Wajamarina Valley. I've hunted in the Wakamarina as a youth (that was 50 years ago haha) and extensively in the general area. For some reason goats and pigs abound in that area, but unless things have changed - not many deer. I can recall only one or two deer being shot on our place in the 18 years I was there. Just seeing sign from one moving through was a big thrill. Strange cause there were plenty on other watersheds not far away. I'd love to hear about how you get on up there, the Wakamarina had always been home to a wide variety of folk from different viewpoints!
    buell984 and Micky Duck like this.

Hey Tentman

yeah been ther a couple times to stay at the holiday park, a little farmlett came up for sale and thats it was done and dudsted.

if you ever fancy a walk around the bush again down there flick me a message plenty of place for a tent at our place and the mrs isnt a shabby cook.
    buell984 and Micky Duck like this.

Nice. The Hart family will be long gone from the Camping Ground but were good buggers. Rowan Maule might still be about, a good friend from my youth. You'll no doubt run across some of the Bryant family if you venture into the Trout (hotel), a fantastic family of Trojans as well, Mac and Peter (of my Dads generation, so all since passed with the possible exception of Peter) were the most talented bushmen and Dozer drivers you'd ever see, what they couldn't do in that steep country with a D47U wasnt worth doing . . .
    Micky Duck likes this.

PS - lost rifles. My uncle Dennis (Hughes) was a wandering bushman, he knew most of the nooks and crannies of the Bryant range. Problem was he was a thinker, and sometimes he'd sit down for a think, then spring up and away. Twice he left behind a 22 rifle, just sitting on a log. He couldn't be bothered going back so they are still there !!
    Micky Duck likes this.

Hunted a mates farm years ago up there for pigs, were a couple of deer, few good pigs and lots of goats.Only hunted the doc at the end a couple of times,
    There are some deer in there but didnt really like it and wasnt worth the drive over the hill
    Micky Duck likes this.