Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Hunting With No FAL

Straight off the arms code

Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 527
Size:  50.1 KB

Myself reading that it says generally which to me tells me its fine in a mai mai because you are right next to the young one.
    grunzter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Straight off the arms code

Attachment 34973

Myself reading that it says generally which to me tells me its fine in a mai mai because you are right next to the young one.
    That note at the bottom is new..... I guess since the coined the term MSSA?

probably a good idea.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

yes if you are supervising an unlicenced shooter,the FAL holder must have the one firearm. also under F&G regs. any fal. holder is only allowed to be in possession of one firearm.ie. it is illegal to take two shotguns into the mai mai(in the possession of the one person).it seems this is a carry over from the two shot days,but it has never been erased from the books.i plead guilty to this one,having taken two u/o out many times on opening to make use of the firepower.

PT carries one, dundee carres one. Only one person loads and shoots at any one time. All ok?

Its a moot point whether the firearm is loaded or unloaded in the eyes of the law, its a firearm and you must be under direct supervision if you are handling one. At least that is how I interpret the law.

Quote Originally Posted by screamO View Post
    yep here we go, where will this thread end up?
    I know where your coming from on this one Dundee, I think the appropriate answer is NO he can't do what he want's! I'm guessing by some of your other posts with your family, your boy isn't stupid and you have taught him the ins and outs of firearms safety and hunting which is a lot more than a 25yr old who has just got his FAL and never touched a gun, but it's still wrong even thou he might be the safest hunter out there. I'm sure you don't let him drive your car / tractor around by him self either as he's not old enough to have a licence......yea right I think the saying goes. How old was the guy down south who shot a hunter?
    It's a hard one to say no to when your probably the biggest influence in his need to go hunting and prove him self.
    I know the rules don't change just because you live on a farm, but lets be fair they do! I'm sure there will be some bad replies from that comment but heeee that's the point of having these discussions.
    I don,t think your comment about farms rules are out of whack.
    A farm is private property and most of us brought up on farms were driving farm utes,tractors and more often now quads.
    Same goes for rifles and hunting .
    City kids Vs Farm kids all have there own set of rules .
    Take a farm kid into say Auckland and he or she would be overwhelm by catching a train or bus to a suburb nor would the parents be relaxed with idea where the city kid would take it as a normal occurance as would the parents .
    Put the same family onto a farm and the parents and or child would not be comforable with son or daughter jumping on the quad or ute with a rifle to head off for a hunt alone.
    veitnamcam likes this.
    Love walking my gun

I think dundee your obviously smart enough to get your firearms lisense and your son can obviously read , so why not read the arms act as its pretty clearly statdd, or rather do you know your doing something thats illegal but you take to the forum to get members to try and reassure you that no what your doing is "acceptable". good way to be a role model and teach your son to respect firearms!
    Frosty likes this.
    #BallisticFists

If it's public land then respect other users and take one rifle. On your land it's your business.
    Scouser, Frosty and Zamkiwi like this.

I asked the Arms Officer this question a couple of years ago in regards to hunting with my mate who doesn't have a FAL. He said he can carry a firearm as long as he is under my direct supervision and is close enough for me to intervene if required.

Thanks guys for all the replies.He will be taking his bow on public land and I will take the rifle.

Scoped I do have a FAL.
    Kscott and ebf like this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

My 2c worth - you're making the right decision. It's only after a situation goes bad would you think on how the execution of immediate supervision could be really be done.

My 2c worth - this isn't because the world has gone PC mad, but changed, for the better. If safety gets clobbered under being "PC" you may want to reevaluate your viewpoint.
    gimp likes this.

I once went duck shooting with a mate. We both had firearms licences and a firearm each. A neighbour turned up at the pond shortly after we did with his young boy (14 or so). The father had a licence and a firearm. The kid had no licence but also had a firearm. We were sitting in the gorse calling in a few ducks. They were just passing over almost in range when there was an almighty boom. I was thinking someone got a bit premature and opened up too soon. As it stood the kid had put a round into the ground an inch from his foot. He claims the gun just went off. I suspect something different. After that I went home. I wasn't hanging around for another stray dose of steel.

Just remember though when you were a boy if you got caught with a firearm and no licence you probably would have got a slap with a wet bus ticket. Now days I suspect you would struggle to ever get a firearms licence again. Big gamble in my opinion as safe as he may be with a firearm.
    Last edited by Andrew46826; 19-03-2015 at 09:44 AM.

ebf
    Yup, good call

I know PT knows what he is doing, but if anything goes wrong or there is an issue and he gets stopped when away from you, then you could lose your license, he could have a black mark against his name etc, etc.

PC world gone mad, but simply not worth the risk.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

But how is safety politically correct ? ? ?

ebf
    the reality is that PT is a farm kid and has grown up around firearms.

i would bet that he is about 300% safer around firearms than hundreds of auckland wannabes about to descend on the bush for the roar. I know which one I would rather be next to for the following month...

but rules are rules and the shiny arses keep making them...
    veitnamcam, Pengy, Toby and 2 others like this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute