Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Hunting/shooting/government

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_H View Post
    Maybe I am misunderstanding something.

If you get the measles or mumps once you get immunity. I think I am right so far.

If you get a cold or the flu, you get no immunity; you can catch it again next season or even again in the same season.

There isn't a vaccination for the common cold and the exotic flu varieties that circle the globe each year, the vaccination that you get is only good for that strain. Have I got it right so far or have I gone off track already?

The world laboratories are going flat out to find a vaccination for the Convid-19. They will get it, I am sure. But like the exotic flu's we face each year, it mutates.....so you are always looking for a new vaccine. Anyone step in and tell where I am wrong.

Initially it was thought that we could fight Convid-19 with herd immunity, i.e. you get it, you are immune, so you try and get your entire population to get the virus in a controlled manner, but even then some will/are dying.

But hold the phone.....latest reports are that you don't get an immunity to the virus, you can and do become re-infected, I guess much like the common cold but this virus is more deadly.

So the way I see it is....

Option A. If getting the virus gives you immunity, then lets go for heard immunity.

Option B. If getting the virus once you can again get re-infected, then the only antidote is keeping the population safe until a vaccine or complete world elimination.

Then, if the virus is mutating, a vaccine is always just playing catch-up.

Where, if anywhere has my reasoning gone wrong. Those who know please educate me.

Cheers
    Phil
    If you get the flu, you do get natural immunity (or a percentage at least) from it, but it evolves and mutates so quick, if you get it again, you are likely getting a different strain than you did before - even though you get the same symptoms.

Yes, a flu shot is only good for the known flu strains it contains.

There are different types of flu though which affect different parts of the body. You can get a head cold, or a sore throat, or coughing, sore joints and muscles, etc etc depending on what the flu is. I believe covid affects the lungs and respiratory system - which is why it is knocking over elderly because they are more likely to have underlying respiratory problems.
    GUN CONTROL IS A TIGHT 5-SHOT GROUP.

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    i have never had the mumps, measles or chickenpox. ....ohhhh s__T!!!
    if you never got the mumps and do now...your ability to father children could be impared......it has steralised more than a few males before...thats why when someone has it ,its normal to take young male children around them so they get it over n done with while young enough to have little harm.
    Steve123 and Mr Browning like this.

Oh, and I believe you can get chickenpox again as an adult. Its called Shingles - and it sounds not very nice to have.
    kotuku likes this.
    GUN CONTROL IS A TIGHT 5-SHOT GROUP.

MB

So the way I see it is....

Option A. If getting the virus gives you immunity, then lets go for heard immunity.

Option B. If getting the virus once you can again get re-infected, then the only antidote is keeping the population safe until a vaccine or complete world elimination.

Then, if the virus is mutating, a vaccine is always just playing catch-up.

Where, if anywhere has my reasoning gone wrong. Those who know please educate me.

Cheers
    Phil

Herd immunity can be achieved if a large enough proportion of a population have immunity to a pathogen. It can occur via natural immunity that has developed in those exposed to a pathogen or vaccines. Viruses can mutate in such a way that neither natural immunity or vaccines remain effective indefinitely. No one knows for sure whether this happens with the SARS-CoV-2 virus. Too many unknowns, no easy answers.
    Phil_H likes this.

Maybe I am misunderstanding something.

If you get the measles or mumps once you get immunity. I think I am right so far.
    It's not that simple. You MAY get immunity. It's not guaranteed. When I was a kid I got mumps twice.
    Phil_H likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    if you never got the mumps and do now...your ability to father children could be impared......it has steralised more than a few males before...thats why when someone has it ,its normal to take young male children around them so they get it over n done with while young enough to have little harm.
    nope no kids, never wanted them and the surgeon took my ability to have them nearly 30 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by Saxguy View Post
    Not sure what you mean here Steve... sorry
    An add for meat free lab made vegan burger patties was on here

Sent from my SM-G390Y using Tapatalk

So in effect, we may or may not be able to achieve herd immunity with the Cohttps://time.com/5825386/herd-immunity-coronavirus-covid-19/nvid-19 virus....because we don't really know enough about it yet.....and even if we are able to get herd immunity it's not that much use to us as a mutation will come along next season and we start all over again. Am I getting this half right?

Cheers
    Phil
    Herd immunity requires 70 - 80 % of the population to have antibodies to the pathogen in question. A person gets antibodies one of two ways: via a specific vaccination OR via being infected with the pathogen and developing your own antibodies to it. Without a vaccine that requires 70 - 80 % of the population to get sick with Covid-19 AND recover.
    As stated, influenza vaccines are different every year to account for the various strains of the virus that are prevalent around the worlds at that time - they mutate rapidly and antibodies for one strain will not provide protection against a different strain. The SARS-CoV-2 virus that causes Covid-19 is known to mutate and the usefulness of any vaccination may be short lived.

This is a decent read if you're interested

https://time.com/5825386/herd-immuni...irus-covid-19/
    Phil_H likes this.

The influenza kills about 400 kiwis every year, 400K worldwide, but no government has bothered to fund free flu vaccine for everyone, even though that would go a long way to protect the very vulnerable.

By contract they reckon COVID19 have killed over about 200k so far in the world. Maybe all the precautions will help reduce influenza spread too. The oldies flock in to get the flu vaccine, but their immune systems are poor at benefiting fully from it for the same reason that they are more vulnerable to the flu in the first place.

The flu causes no symptom in the majority of infections. People who say they won't have the flu vaccine "because I never get it" could instead think in terms of it protecting others. Problem is, most people who understandably believe they don't get it actually DO get it ... and also infect others.
    Mr Browning likes this.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    i have never had the mumps, measles or chickenpox. ....ohhhh s__T!!!
    I got chicken pox last year, by jesus it was torture. My head looked and felt like a pineapple, even had them on my junk. Then the itching.......
    You're in for a treat
    outlander likes this.

Thanks for that @Hewie. About to go and get a couple of hours kip but will definitely read it tonight at work as I try and stay awake during the wee hours tomorrow morning.

Cheers
    Phil
    That 2200-0600 shift is great. Musters and gone before breakfast. Enjoy.
    Phil_H likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehorse View Post
    I got chicken pox last year, by jesus it was torture. My head looked and felt like a pineapple, even had them on my junk. Then the itching.......
    You're in for a treat
    Me too at age 42. Bloody awful.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    I got mildly excited by the title of this thread and thought there had been a new firearms sporting activity introduced. Imagine how disappointed I feel now. Ha ha ha ha. Oh well, I live in hope.
    outlander likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    The influenza kills about 400 kiwis every year, 400K worldwide, but no government has bothered to fund free flu vaccine for everyone, even though that would go a long way to protect the very vulnerable.
    NZ has free flu vaccine for all sorts of conditions, not just oldies. For example, ff you have any hint of asthma it's free. Many workplaces do free flu vaccines. Many countries have similar programs.

If you look at places like Italy and Spain, and extrapolate populations against NZ - if we'd done nothing for Covid19 then deaths could've hit over 10k quite easily.
    Louie likes this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by vulcannz View Post
    If you look at places like Italy and Spain, and extrapolate populations against NZ - if we'd done nothing for Covid19 then deaths could've hit over 10k quite easily.
    Italy has sixty million people and as at today has had 27,000 deaths. For simplicities sake let’s be generous and say we have five million people (one twelfth of 60,000,000). How does ten thousand go in to 27,000 twelve times?
    blake and chainsaw like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms