Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By JoshC
  • 1 Post By Preacher
  • 1 Post By Preacher
  • 2 Post By Tombi

Thread: Hunting in the wild

Hunting in the wild

Which is the best arrow head to be used for deer hunting, a light weight one or heavy one, i know both does its own thing but what do you suggest better works on a deer.

Google, Dr Ed Ashby and his research. Plenty of stuff to get thinking about.

SiB
    I seem to recall something on DoC permits about a minimum weight of something around 120grains???? I’m no archer at all just a detail that stuck

Post a similar question with more specific title in the archery section.

In general the issue for arrow heads is not weight but cutting diameter. Ones that fold out on impact ( mechanical broadhead) can be preferred if you have enough power . You might try to match your hunting broadheads to your practice field points but I believe aerodynamics are more important than just weight.

Total arrow weight is important for trajectory and specially time of flight and even a „light“ arrow will usually have enough momentum to give good penetration. Complete pass through is ideal.

there are some interesting arrowheads in the 125 grain range that have a titanium wire loop thru the head, the theory is the wire compresses down as it goes thru ribs etc but expands in the flesh.
    i never got to try them but the theory is sound

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Arch...ceBeautifyAB=0

I use these. Have shot 13 deer, a few goats and a pig with them. They seem to work well, and they are easy to get an edge back on with a quick run over the wet stone.

https://www.northernbroadheads.co.nz...5gr-grand-slam
    Preacher likes this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

As mentioned above, you really need to be much more specific. Type of bow, draw length, draw weight, arrow spine and weight etc. I.E my 70# compound shoots a light weight but stiffer arrow very fast with relatively light heads and achieves very good kinetic energy at impact. My 50# recurve shoots a much heavier head slower but again still retains significant energy. Consider the arrow itself to be a sum of parts that all need to work together to achieve humane kills. Oh and stay away from ebay/aliexpress cheepo broadheads, you owe your quarry more than saving a few $ at the cost of quality.
    Billy02 likes this.

I have had quite good results with these also JoshC
    JoshC likes this.

@JoshC Legend, don't know how I've not come across these while googleing but I've been looking for a single bevel broadhead that isn't stupid in price.
    JoshC and Preacher like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    I use these. Have shot 13 deer, a few goats and a pig with them. They seem to work well, and they are easy to get an edge back on with a quick run over the wet stone.

https://www.northernbroadheads.co.nz...5gr-grand-slam
    The one you are saying is really nice, i saw some but i am not sure of the gr? https://swordsswords.com/broadhead-a...accessory.html have a look at this, looks good to use. but i am not very sure.

If i google all i see is cheap heads, that can be used for play purpose, but this is the one i saw for the first time looks amazing. the one by @JoshC