Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Hunting Wild Cats

hi mate.

the Feral Cat is one of Australias biggest Predators, and I would hazard to guess NZ biggest predator.

Cunning, elusive but everywhere..

big ups to any Cat hunter, world needs more of yas.

mouse squeeker and a 12gauge.

good luck

I love shooting wild cats and get heaps of practice here on Banks Peninsula with cats being constantly re introduced by pet cats being brought to holiday homes and not wanting to go back to the big smoke after their holidays.
    We also see a lot of them in the Canterbury high country and I have turned down the odd shot at a deer in preference to getting a sneaky wild cat.

I shot this one a few years ago with my 9.3x62
    Name:  32766d1420446011-anyone-hunting-9-3x62-img_0137.jpg
Views: 1037
Size:  980.7 KB

Shot one last friday afternoon when driving out from the Canterbury high country with Matt 2308.
    We saw it on the side of the shingle road and slammed on the brakes.
    All the rifles were locked away in the back of the truck and there was a mad dash for a weapon by me.
    Matt ( experienced fox hunter from the UK ) got straight into making a wounded rabbit call and brought me enough time to load up and take a 30m running shot that blew the cat to pieces.
    Bloody good result and nice way to finish a great trip into the high country.

Must get Matt to show me what he did because it certainly created some confusion with that cat.

was hoping you would see that, you missed another one though!

Quote Originally Posted by HNTMAD View Post
    Shot one on the neighbours yesterday, she was stoked said it had been pissing her off for a long time, shot with 708 subsonic, the cat is the ginger one

Hamish
    See you need four goes to get that one, there cunning ah hiding behind them geese

Funny I was after the geese when the kids said oh look a cat, change of plans lol

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    Sideshow likes this.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

I had a two farms between foxton and shannon I was spotlighting on for a few years ended up cleaning up about 10 in total.
    Was the local dumping ground for the unwanted domestic pets

First thing I shot on stewart island was mom cat and three kittens!
    Boys back at the hut thought I was in the shit lucky I came back on the mud flats so they could see I was ok (Freds Camp)
    Took a bit of explaining it was the first day and all but once it was confirmed all sweet as they must have thought what's this young p**** up too?
    First trip there back in 1992 got two nice does that trip. One of those skins is now here in the uk

I first thought this thread might be about weird useless calibers when reading the title. Glad its not, wild cats are everywhere and usually fairly hard to knock down with the standard 22lr. Speaking of pointless calibers, the 204 used to make them "pop"...

I hate the bastards and drill em when the oppertunity arises.
    Name:  picture 261.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  163.7 KB
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Wild cats are literally everywhere here in Canterbury, it's very rare that I go out hunting and don't see some cat sign.
    I have messed up a few hunts knowing that shooting a cat was going to ruin my chances of seeing much else on a hunt, but it's pretty satisfying shooting one.
    A mate and I cleaned out 19 from a pig farm one night that were stealing and eating the newly born piglets.
    They are pretty easy to squeak in close with a rabbit distress call but they are bloody wary and won't hang about long once they are onto you!
    The only real option for predator hunting here in NZ but a challenging one to hunt!

Quote Originally Posted by akaroa1 View Post
    I love shooting wild cats and get heaps of practice here on Banks Peninsula with cats being constantly re introduced by pet cats being brought to holiday homes and not wanting to go back to the big smoke after their holidays.
    We also see a lot of them in the Canterbury high country and I have turned down the odd shot at a deer in preference to getting a sneaky wild cat.

I shot this one a few years ago with my 9.3x62
    Attachment 48978

Shot one last friday afternoon when driving out from the Canterbury high country with Matt 2308.
    We saw it on the side of the shingle road and slammed on the brakes.
    All the rifles were locked away in the back of the truck and there was a mad dash for a weapon by me.
    Matt ( experienced fox hunter from the UK ) got straight into making a wounded rabbit call and brought me enough time to load up and take a 30m running shot that blew the cat to pieces.
    Bloody good result and nice way to finish a great trip into the high country.

Must get Matt to show me what he did because it certainly created some confusion with that cat.
    Awesome photo, looks like your dog shot it!

Saw a couple at the mid called hut last year.. That's a long way from anywhere....

Sent from my ALE-L02 using Tapatalk

Dairy farms can be a magnet for wild cats. Checking the springers (calving cows) at night/early morning with a spotlight I often see a few eating after birth. They sneak off when I arrive, but a shine around of the spotlight as leave usually reveals these sets of eyes watching me from a distance. Every now and then I bring the .17hmr with me and snot a few
    If my work annoys me, I cull them

I like it recon we should start a u tube channel, a reality tv show called Garth Morgan smokes pussy! Everyone can add their cat hunting videos and photos.
    Send that shit to PETA.
    Maca49 likes this.

I was down mavora lakes way a couple of weeks ago looking for a cham couldn't believe my eyes when a fat cat took off in front of me I was 12-1300 meters high !! hardly any birds up there or chamy figered it mustv been eating lizards