Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: Hutt etiquette

Hutt etiquette

Just wondering what everyones rules are in terms of taking firearms into doc huts particularly if they have non hunters in them? i.e what you do to stop them crapping themselves? And also how your store your firearm in the hut action lock, trigger lock etc??
    Cheers,
    Josh

I always clear the rifle, remove the magazine (if applicable) and bolt before entering the hut, make it obvious that I have done this too. I store mine next to or under my sleeping bag and sometimes I hang it on a nail off the sling (barrel down) if I am alone, (bolt and mag still separate and hidden in pack).

I am always friendly and polite to anyone else in the hut and if they still have their knickers in a twist, that's their problem. 99% people are fine, quite a few are actually quite interested in it all.
    Hunting is not a hobby.....its an addiction

Perfectly legal to have them in the hut. As per usual just remove the bolt and mag as you approach the hut.
    If you get the chance, take a greenie for a walk off the track and without shooting anything show them what you do and your appreciation for the surrounds
    Dawg likes this.

If sharing the hut I kinda don't,strut around acting like a dick. Make sure I have mag out and bolt removed before going in, and place rifle if possible, out of sight or ina quiet corner. Be polite and friendly, more so if hut filled with german or Swedish girls.

rifle pointed downwards, unloaded and broken open or bolt out. I have been asked once to leave my rifle outside for the night, I think you can all guess as what my response would have been.
    Dundee, brodster, Gibo and 3 others like this.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

We have a contract to make some lockable storage units for rifles in DOC huts around the top of the south.

These with have a SS wire restraint & all the hunter needs to do is bring a small padlock

They will be in position earlyish in the new year.

youll either get funny looks ( stereotype here, people late 20's to late 30's pc metros who cant fathom that animals are pests. the same kind that wont acknowledge you once they see you have a rifle)

or older or more worldly people who don't mind or even pay attention that you have a rifle inside the hut.

for me , usually beside my bed or on the coat hook with my pack, bolt clearly open and mag flipped around and re inserted or in the top of my pack

you touch my rifle youll know all about it
    Dawg and Elrond like this.

Bolt out and mag out and empty. The rifle hangs by the bed or is by the bed. Politely make it obvious that the rifle is empty in a safe condition. Remember you have as much right to be there as they do.
    EeeBees, Boulderman and Dawg like this.

I find a grenade rolled through the hut door before entry is a good option - best to wait just a bit before you enter though
    sako75, Dundee, EeeBees and 9 others like this.

When visiting a hut (I don't overnight in huts anymore) I prop the empty rifle sans bolt up against the outside of the hut out of the way but in sight

Go in, have a cuppa and chat then bugger off

One note as to body language - the last thing I wanna do is stand in the doorway holding a rifle. People freak out enough about firearms but if you're blocking the only exit they freak out that little bit more.

Yes I know it's our legal right to do some things but I just try not to be too much of a dick about it
    Norway, Dawg and DanS like this.

I noticed a few times when you turn up at a hut at around midnight and walk in with a rifle people tend to shit themselves.. cant understand why??
    craigc, Blaser, big_foot and 2 others like this.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

When you empty your mag, don't shove the ammo in your swannie pocket and then hang it as close to the chimney as you can.
    Last edited by Spook; 15-12-2014 at 08:49 PM.
    Pengy, Dawg and oneshot like this.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Are you talking Lower Hutt or Upper Hutt?
    Might mean the Hutt Valley
    Dawg likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    I noticed a few times when you turn up at a hut at around midnight and walk in with a rifle people tend to shit themselves.. cant understand why??
    Bloody scary at that time of the night if they discharge the rifle when trying to unload it.
    gadgetman and Dawg like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    Might mean the Hutt Valley
    could be mount hutt
    Spook and Dawg like this.