Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My understanding is that south of Tamiki and all of the orua catchment are helicopter (WARO) exclusion zones. Always have been, unless things have changed without DOC consulting with me

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    My understanding is that south of Tamiki and all of the orua catchment are helicopter (WARO) exclusion zones. Always have been, unless things have changed without DOC consulting with me
    They're trying hard but have yet to have either the areas or times opened up. I believe you are still correct Tahr

For those that don't where it is
    Leon Kinvig Hut: Manawatu backcountry huts
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    And yet there are OFTEN choppers hunting in there

Banned
    Yea ive seen and heard chopper,s working down my way but for a very short time every year.Im sure there times have been capped as waro were trying to open up there time frames, and yes they arnt suppose to be down our way but they have been!!!.And next to no bugger flys into Kiritaki hutt.But hey this could go on forever so tonight ill ask my D S pressie to clarify for me.

Banned
    Heli hunting ban areas are Dry creek to the gorge on our side..........they can still operate the manawatu side of the southern ruahines.

The choppers hunt on the eastern side from the tamaki north , watched a black chopper with green on it last sunday hunting stanfield cattle creek , mid poh right up towards leon kinvig.They finished operations on thursday this week. until may. Oh and by the way as soon as the chopper had passed deer started coming out. There were a few small yearlings lying around that had been shot and left not sure weather they were to small for quota or what the deal was.
    Last edited by HGM77; 16-03-2013 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich007 View Post
    I'm looking at going to Leon Kinvig Hut in the Ruahines (via Knights track). Has anyone been there? Whats it like? What's the hunting like?

Rich
    It's a nice spot, only been there once and wind was a bugger so no luck. Although saw several deer in leatherwood clearings when dropping down to the hut. Some good clearings on the river itself that a worht a look

Permitted Zones Roar and Christmas Closure Periods
    The Concession Activity must not take place on the land marked in green on the attached DVD
    1. North Island:
    a. Roar period: 15 March – 30 April (annually)
    b. Christmas period: 22 December – 15 January (annually)

yeh certainly is a nice spot , was alot of sign around the pohangina last week , couldnt figure out why there werent as many deer around until the chopper arrived.id be waiting a few weeks before going in there.