Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Interesting thoughts on hunting

Interesting thoughts on hunting

Trout, ONYVA, Woody and 2 others like this.

For years commercial meat hunting and culling my attitude was to respect but take the animal, bird or fish as required. But now, I feel somewhat like this chap. I watch the game and actually regret the final act of taking theige of a fellow creature which is just living its life and minding its own business. I only hunt for food now and have come to regard the wild environments as my true spirtual home and it keeps worthwhile values well apart from the madding crowd. I love watching all the different greens yellows browns and hues of the unspoilt places and all the life it supports. Watching a beetle or a kaka or deer, it makes no difference and always a pleasure seeing them go about their business.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

He says he's hunting for meat but shoots a buck instead of the Doe(maybe they have tags for bucks only there?)and he also says this animal gave its life for us,Im pretty sure it didn't give its life as opposed to it being taken by him.
    Enjoyed the video but his out take on it sounded fake and woke.

Tag system there, can only shoot what you draw. Gave its life, take its life meh same thing.
    Cordite likes this.

Nice bit of country.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    For years commercial meat hunting and culling my attitude was to respect but take the animal, bird or fish as required. But now, I feel somewhat like this chap. I watch the game and actually regret the final act of taking theige of a fellow creature which is just living its life and minding its own business. I only hunt for food now and have come to regard the wild environments as my true spirtual home and it keeps worthwhile values well apart from the madding crowd. I love watching all the different greens yellows browns and hues of the unspoilt places and all the life it supports. Watching a beetle or a kaka or deer, it makes no difference and always a pleasure seeing them go about their business.

Great Post Woody - sums it all up for me also. Only kill what I can eat. Just watch the animals the rest of the time and enjoy being outdoors.
    Trout, Moa Hunter, keneff and 4 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Tag system there, can only shoot what you draw. Gave its life, take its life meh same thing.
    Agree. I have reflected on ANZAC day about those who "gave their lives", "sacrificed themselves" for us. More accurate to say they paid the ultimate price, or just, they died. Sane people (other than Jihadis) go to war with some hope of returning alive.
    tetawa, gonebush and Woody like this.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    Agree. I have reflected on ANZAC day about those who "gave their lives", "sacrificed themselves" for us. More accurate to say they paid the ultimate price, or just, they died. Sane people (other than Jihadis) go to war with some hope of returning alive.
    Yes.

However, in the case of recent wars and probably others there were numerous instances where persons volunteered for actions where chance of survival was non existent or very minimal.
    It is wrong to place animals in such a cognitive class. Killing an animal is taking its life and its life force. It does not freely "give itself"; however some animals will defend their young or a dog its family /master to the death but without any preconcieved notion of the finality of its own death.
    Most peoples who exist in and depend on wild foods regard animals as having a spirit that is to be addressed and shown respect.
    Summer grass
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

that can be a strange one ... I will happily go shoot a deer or goat or whatever for food or do a bit of pest culling (possum etc) but I value life enough that I will catch any bugs in the house and let them go outside (spiders, mantis, moths etc) because I feel bad squishing them .

except flies or roaches ..... hate those little buggers ...
    Yesmate likes this.
    born to hunt - forced to work

That is the essence of survival. I.e. defence of home from harm. Rats are another example.
    Summer grass
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Quote Originally Posted by Ftx325 View Post
    that can be a strange one ... I will happily go shoot a deer or goat or whatever for food or do a bit of pest culling (possum etc) but I value life enough that I will catch any bugs in the house and let them go outside (spiders, mantis, moths etc) because I feel bad squishing them .

I thought I was the only weird one who did that!!
    Cordite and Ftx325 like this.
    Everyone is entitled to their own stupid opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Ftx325 View Post

Same here ill never kill a spider(except white tail)or what I regard as a useful insect but will take a deers life no problems.I never thank the deer for "giving me its life".Its clear it didn't want to die for me.
    Cordite likes this.

Same for me. I like all bugs except wasps. They get no mercy.
    Cordite likes this.

Its about showing respect for the animal fully agree with him and his attitude
    Tahr, Cordite and Barnes130 like this.