Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Interesting time stalking a deer yesterday

Great vid Josh
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Very cool! Thanks for sharing.

Ha just had similar in France moved to soon bugger busted great vid Josh

SiB
    A wonderful educational clip! Well done!
    Si

That is really awesome. Thanks for taking the time to record and share that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you have an example of the sound you made to grab the animals attention to share with us?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by madjon_ View Post
    To good,Josh.I always reckoned,you find Deer with a bow,the hunt is just beginning.Find Deer with a rifle,it's usually over.
    Very much so. Bow hunting teaches you how to hunt again in many ways, it gets the adrenaline pumping again. Even more so I think now with many hunters experienced and learner being able to easily take a shot of 300m plus. Even with a rifle I still try to get right in a deers bubble, spooking a deer and it bolting doesn't phase me one bit these days.

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Damn that would have been entertaining!
    Yep was quite entertaining. At one point he calmed down and I though that he may even bed down again - I've had that happen a few times with chamois. When he snuck around in a circle to try and cut my wind and came within 16 metres the adrenaline started pumping again. Great fun.

Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    Best hunting post/thread Iv seen on here.
    Thanks mate! Was a good opportunity to demonstrate a deers behavior in this situation. I've had the exact same thing happen a few times. Even in areas where hunting pressure is moderate to high like this spot!

Quote Originally Posted by HNTMAD View Post
    The good old hanging in the chiller before the deer is dead ah. Had me loose a couple in my time.

Great watch thanks Hamish
    Yeah mate, I'm guilty of doing it all the time. Normally it's more like, when I shoot this, can I be bothered carting the bugger out though!

Quote Originally Posted by sambnz View Post
    Do you have an example of the sound you made to grab the animals attention to share with us?
    Umm I don't have an example on video, but you maybe able to find one on youtube. It's like an extended 'mmeeeehh', not too loud though. But other methods can work too, a loud grunt, whistle or 'oi' can stop them. I prefer a 'meh' as I think it confuses them into thinking it could be another deer talking to them. If you get a chance, go and listen to farmed deer on a still evening, especially this time of year. You'll hear them talking to each quite a lot. Red deer can be quite vocal at times.
    Sideshow likes this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Thats awesome

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

That's an awesome clip and experince. Purfect!!!

You can learn so much from interacting with deer and not lifting the rifle. I saw a mob of 6 hinds all with fawns last weekend and decided to see how close i could stalk in as I had no plan to shoot any of them. I was over 400m away with the wind in my favour and needed to cover 200m of open ground to get to more cover. Before i even moved at all I became aware that they knew something was up. They continued feeding but took turns at checking out my direction. I swear the hinds have a sixth sense when they have a toddler at foot.
    JoshC likes this.

57JL
    good shit mate i have done this a few times to. much to some of my mates ridicule because i let a hind walk
    there,s more to just pulling the trigger i go home on a real high after such encounters and have never gone felling frustrated
    if i want get frustrated i go to he golf course and have a game of whackfuck!!!!
    JoshC likes this.

Very cool and awesome you got it on video. It's happened to me more with nosey hinds than stags.
    JoshC likes this.