Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Jacket advice for a Canadian

MSL
    Swazi tahr xp

Swazi mate, One Tough Mutha or Torrent jacket. Job done.

Check their website. I'm happy to help with shipping if you want it sent as a " gift ".

B
    BRADS and Nibblet like this.

Caretaker
    Every hunters element jacket that i have seen out actually being used in the Ruahines/Kawekas has a broken zip

Including mine

A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Huntech Anorak seems to be getting good wraps too.

Stalker Softshell Anorak
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyrowman View Post
    Thanks, the stoney Creek heavier then the Swazi?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
    Stoney creek will be slightly lighter and slightly more pack able but both big jackets. The stoney creek glaisnock is much lighter and compact but feels thinner obviously.

I would buy kuiu but as you say the length just isn't there on the rain jackets.

Hunters element is or has been a very average product. They may have changed now? Won't be getting another chance from me

Thanks guys, this has been great. I don't mind the extra weight of the Swazi tahr or a stoney Creek tarn as it'll eliminate having to carry a soft shell layer.

I've just come back from 4 months in a hunting camp in BC and my swazi tahr anorak was my go to because of the bush, the rain, for riding, and because it is so bloody dependable due to very few zips etc. It has a good long tail to go down over the saddle when you are riding. For this year I am hoping to get swazi to make me a custom tahr anorak out of the same fabric they make "One Tough Muttha" from, cos you dont need quiet fabric for where I will be hunting, but you do need tough for all the shit and scrub you have to ride through. And I'm hoping to have a large covered gusset in each side seam to make it work better when riding. If you need something bought over I will be over at the end of June.

Quote Originally Posted by Husky1600 View Post
    I've just come back from 4 months in a hunting camp in BC and my swazi tahr anorak was my go to because of the bush, the rain, for riding, and because it is so bloody dependable due to very few zips etc. It has a good long tail to go down over the saddle when you are riding. For this year I am hoping to get swazi to make me a custom tahr anorak out of the same fabric they make "One Tough Muttha" from, cos you dont need quiet fabric for where I will be hunting, but you do need tough for all the shit and scrub you have to ride through. And I'm hoping to have a large covered gusset in each side seam to make it work better when riding. If you need something bought over I will be over at the end of June.
    Thanks bro, can't tell you guys how awesome the response has been. Sounds like Swazi is worth the extra coin, I also found a mom and pop stitch house that specializes in outdoor gear that'll do ykk waterproof pit zips for $18 a side.

So I had emailed stoney Creek before posting this thread, they got back to me and said that the tarn jacket is getting replaced by a new jacket called the "tundra". Supposedly an improved version with some new features and it comes out in March. It'll be interested to see how it looks.

A good copper Jacket is what is needed 😊