Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Karamojo Bell article

Trust me, there is a reason it is illegal to hunt the big 3 with anything under .375 h&h.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

As velocity increases penetration decreases.
    Velocity is thrilling,but diameter does the real killing.

Of course a bigger case has more potential for energy it is just that in the case of a brain shot calibre or bore size is really irrelevant.

Not that I have any wish to ever shoot an elephant I don't doubt that a well placed shot brain or heart would kill very well with the appropriate projectile out of a 308.

Would I deliberately take a 308 to shoot my first elephant? No , if I was to hunt dangerous game I would be taking something like a 416 rigby .
    mikee and Spudattack like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by john m View Post
    As velocity increases penetration decreases.
    With expanding projectiles. solids are another matter.

Scribe
    Anyone that shot as many elephants as Karamojo Bell and died in his bed did know what he was talking about
    veitnamcam likes this.

Scribe
    Name:  jumbo2.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  190.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme Sturgeon View Post
    Anyone that shot as many elephants as Karamojo Bell and died in his bed did know what he was talking about

Yep, but its one man's opinion, nearly all the other great elephant hunters, selous, Taylor, Johnson, hunter to name a few preferred big bores.
    Most of them died from othe causes too.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    With expanding projectiles. solids are another matter.

Solids distort and deform and lose direction and sometimes tumble.
    john m likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudattack View Post
    Solids distort and deform and lose direction and sometimes tumble.
    Depending on construction and velocity, just like soft points,plastic tips HPs etc pencil a straight line or cause a massive deep wound channel or a shallow dinnerplate sized wound on the surface.

It all depends on construction and velocity, after all we can manufacture projectiles that will penetrate a foot of hardened steel on 45 degree angle then set fire to whatever is on the other side.

Scribe
    Name:  Jumbo 3.jpg
Views: 578
Size:  172.9 KB.

Some of this stuff from Bill Axbeys unpublished manuscript on the great New Zealand elephant Hunter 'Deaf Banks' is amazing. He is whittling down the Kings Herd of Elephant with his bloody old 303 like you wouldn't believe. One of our original poachers I wouldn't be suprized, makes me proud just to read about him.

elephant

Interesting article on the subject.
    john m likes this.

Scribe
    Hell this manuscript is amazing. Banks must be in the Congo now as he is donkey deep in tusks he' has shot from a herd that belonged of the King of Belgium. I can almost hear the crack of the three o and feel the crash as another tusker bites the dust.

All of the big bores are away in the big cites telling the world how they would be doing it if they were out there again. After forty pink gins they will toddle back to their Boma and bleary eyed run a oily rag over the four bore that they would use again if only the elephants would come back close to town like they used to.

Another legendary Ivory hunter that was a proponent of big bores, his interesting theory on "knock out power," just for a bit of balance to the discussion...

John Howard "Pondoro" Taylor (1904 - 1969) | AfricaHunting.com
    john m likes this.

Banned
    From what I have read of Taylor, he wasn't much of a gun guy. I would take Walter Bell over him.

Let us remember also that much of the government culling of elephant in the 1970's/80's was done with SLR's and .308 military ammo.

Harry Rayne was another New Zealander from Dunedin who hunted with WDM Bell in the Karamojo around 1907/08, using the .318 Westley Richards - basically the same thing as a .30/06 with heavy bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlsen Highway View Post
    From what I have read of Taylor, he wasn't much of a gun guy. I would take Walter Bell over him.
    Really? Have you read African Rifles and Cartridges by John "Pondoro" Taylor?

Let us not forget either that Bell had his gunbearer ready with his heavy double for when the SHTF! The 7mm was cheaper to shoot and huntng was business not pleasure for Bell.