Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By grandpamac
  • 3 Post By grandpamac

Thread: Kaweka Access from Taihape Side?

Kaweka Access from Taihape Side?

Hey team, is there any access currently into the Kawekas around the Ngamahanga side?
    Looking to come down in a week or so for the roar out of Whangarei. Struggling to find out if access is open or not.
    We usually hunt the eastern side but those options look to be closed this roar.
    I'll be coming down on my own so if anyone wants a mate in the hills for a few days, let me know.

Greetings,
    Currently the Napier Taihape Road is open so their is road access to the Kuri, Lakes Road and Mackintosh carparks. Lawrence is closed. A temporary bridge opened at Rissington yesterday but I don't know if any of the northern road ends are open. Check the DoC site.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Sika 8 likes this.

Thanks. that sounds positive.
    Not really hunted that side but keen to chase Sika over Reds ideally.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartz View Post
    Thanks. that sounds positive.
    Not really hunted that side but keen to chase Sika over Reds ideally.
    I drove to the Lakes Road and Mackintosh hut carparks on Tuesday and walked up the Kuri Hill track that leads to Kiwi Saddle Hut. What I saw of the bush was undamaged but it could be different in the Northern part of the Kawekas. Even with the Rissington bridge it is residents only to the northern road ends and most of the access roads appear to be shut.
    GPM.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    I drove to the Lakes Road and Mackintosh hut carparks on Tuesday and walked up the Kuri Hill track that leads to Kiwi Saddle Hut. What I saw of the bush was undamaged but it could be different in the Northern part of the Kawekas. Even with the Rissington bridge it is residents only to the northern road ends and most of the access roads appear to be shut.
    GPM.
    Thanks for the notes. Where you’ve been looks to be some good country and I think I’ll head in that direction too.

Greetings Again,
    The Kiwi Saddle area has been one of my favourites for around 40 years. Declining mobility has meant my last trip was around 5 years ago. The area from the hut to Castle Camp is particularly nice. Contorta has been a problem in places over recent years but I think they have had a bit of a clean out recently. There are plenty of loop trips you can do either via Rogue Ridge or Mackintosh if you feel so inclined. One piece of local knowledge. It may seem inviting to go down the Tutaekuri to get back to the carpark rather than climb the hill from Kiwi Saddle Hut. Don't. The river is very rough. Two hours or so back to the carpark via the track and two days via the river. People still get caught by this from time to time.
    Enjoy your trip. Grandpamac.
    Barefoot, BSA270 and kiwiswede like this.

I’m a grandpa too GPM so don’t have the energy of my younger years but still keen to get out and have a go. Thanks for the prompts. Good to know.