Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By kiwijames
  • 2 Post By kiwijames

Thread: Kaweka hunting tips

Kaweka hunting tips

I'm relatively new to hunting and the kawekas are my local ranges. I've got a couple of deer out but I have had an op on my leg and can't walk too far or hard anymore and seeing if anyone can advise any good closer spots that aren't a full day or two in. I go to the lakes and Lawrence road but not sure where to go off the tracks. I know everyone's spots are quite sacred but any help or advice would be great.

Thanks.

Could show you some of the easier access I know about but it's only straightforward to walk to the shooting pozzie, retrieving the animal is a whole other ball game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Yeah mate I can carry a deer on mostly flat area for a couple of km, hence why I'm leaning toward the lakes, but I need to be in distance to get my gear back to the truck, then go back empty handed and retrieve the kill. It's a pain in the ass but I love it enough to keep at it. I prefer to go out by myself so I don't hold anyone up and can happily go at my own pace but I think I may need to bush bash a bit to find clearings or wallows. Plus I'm trying to find myself a spot for the roar out there as it's my first one. I'm not sure if this is too tall of an order for out there.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    The tops will start to fire soon. Look for the tutu on slips etc. buy some binoculars. Plenty of routes in the area you describe get you up top. Kiwi Saddle, Rouge, Makintosh spur. When it's hot take a book or have a nap.
    Dougie likes this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Sweet! Thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by fieldzy202 View Post
    Yeah mate I can carry a deer on mostly flat area for a couple of km, hence why I'm leaning toward the lakes, but I need to be in distance to get my gear back to the truck, then go back empty handed and retrieve the kill. It's a pain in the ass but I love it enough to keep at it. I prefer to go out by myself so I don't hold anyone up and can happily go at my own pace but I think I may need to bush bash a bit to find clearings or wallows. Plus I'm trying to find myself a spot for the roar out there as it's my first one. I'm not sure if this is too tall of an order for out there.
    Japs are so small once you learn how to butcher them you can cram half a dozen in your pocket.
    Shanks pony is your friend. Move off from the lakes and get out there. Back Ridge, Kiwi Mouth, Castle Camp yadda yadda. Just get out there.
    Roar spots will be totally different areas to current hunting areas.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Thanks. How will roar spots be different? Just so I know what to look for.

Different needs. This time of year deer will be HUNGRY. Winter is tough in the hills. They want to find food.
    Come the roar the stags want to find a ROOT. Territory and hind location is everything.
    Blaser and Dougie like this.

Ah ok. Thanks. I'll try some research before the time comes