Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Keeping meat cold in the field

I dont think the heat will be an issue on a 3 day trip. Just keep in the shade and keep the flies off it. That said, I've eaten meat that young maggots had taken a few bites out of and I didn't get sick - just dont let the missus see haha. So long as the meat doesn't smell rancid.

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2
    Yeah nah bro

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by phillipgr View Post
    I dont think the heat will be an issue on a 3 day trip. Just keep in the shade and keep the flies off it. That said, I've eaten meat that young maggots had taken a few bites out of and I didn't get sick - just dont let the missus see haha. So long as the meat doesn't smell rancid.

Nothing like a good steak that looks like salami...when in the bush always cook after dark...only so you cant see the maggots you cut in half.
    phillipgr and JP100 like this.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by phillipgr View Post

Good source of protein those maggots Phillip. Who knew you were an insect eater?
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Good source of protein those maggots Phillip. Who knew you were an insect eater?
    I am when they get in between me and venison backsteaks

Yeah nah bro

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

OK I'll stick my neck out here.
    As a teenager (over 55 now) I was taught flies don't fly more than 12 feet above ground. If we shot a deer then it was hung higher than that up a tree, never came back to a blown deer yet.
    Next thing was if you can't get it over 12 feet up then cover it with muslim cloth, before you tie the ends up stuff as much fern as you can up to create a gap between the cloth and ther meat. Again have never come back to a blown carcass.
    If all else fails then place it on the ground below a shady tree and leave the skin on, just gut and head the deer, don't open the cavity and when you come back there'll be some tidying up of fly lavae but you'll still get a heap of meat.
    I've heard flies don't like fennell but haven't tried covering an animal with that yet.