Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Kelly Knight hut hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Don't be lazy. Go over the top from Rangi. Thats how we used to do it, although I don't ever recall going too far down onto the Pouranaki faces before getting one. Up the Pari was always good too.
    I have just returned from doing exactly this, and yes theirs a few deer around up there !
    Tahr likes this.

Shot my first deer here while staying at the old tent camp that preceded the hut. Saw a hind and a yearling running away. Aimed at the hind and shot the yearling through the head.
    Tahr, TLB, tamamutu and 4 others like this.

Access is a bit limitied on the western side of the Ruahine's, I think the Ruahine users group were recently lobbying DOC to finally do something about it.

GDM
    Good to hear someone is trying to put a bit of pressure on Doc to sort it out.
    It’s such a shame that the Kelly knight track has closed. I rang Doc a year ago about it and the difficulty getting into Purity which is very hit and miss, the guy I spoke to said they were planning on having a meeting with Both owners to try and sort something out but unfortunately nothing has changed.

That same meeting that's been arranged for years aye.

I venture in 2-3 times a year now. A lot less than previous years due to access. Little bit longer walk eh.