Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree22Likes
  • 15 Post By Synthetic
  • 1 Post By XR500
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 3 Post By Marty Henry
  • 1 Post By Nick-D
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck

Thread: King Country Goat Hunt

King Country Goat Hunt

So I thought I'd make the most of the good weather this weekend by going out for a goat hunt. One area I always wanted to check out was the Mt Messenger/Awakino/Mokau Doc blocks.

At the entrance to the block there is a Doc sign saying the track and the surrounding areas are closed. However I did not receive any notification from Doc saying so.
    On the way back I thought about quickly checking out another small block. Only had my binoculars with me.

2 minutes from the car and I bumped into 2 goats. I sprinted back to the car to grab rifle and ammo. Upon return the goats were still there. I picked a black billy, lined up the 243 to the shoulder, boom, it went stiff before it fell to the ground to the handloaded Hornady 100gr BTSP.

To my surprise, 20 more goats emerged from the bush to check out what was going on. I had a crack at a black nanny on the shoulder, but it made a dash. I thought the shot was a miss, but soon heard a cry of an injured animal. The goat has actually been hit in the gut and ran 100m. Poor shot placement from my part. It was quickly put out of its misery.

On the way home a ginger goat bolted onto State Highway 3, and was almost killed by my Toyota. The car behind was clearly not following the 2 second rule as he almost crashed into me.

Overall a productive day. More practice at the range under non-ideal conditions will improve the chance of humane kills.

Name:  20200816_120258.jpg
Views: 813
Size:  7.87 MB

Name:  20200816_115933.jpg
Views: 774
Size:  7.32 MB

Name:  20200816_120149.jpg
Views: 756
Size:  8.34 MB

Name:  20200816_115001.jpg
Views: 781
Size:  5.75 MB

Name:  20200816_115413.jpg
Views: 773
Size:  7.28 MB

Name:  20200816_115645.jpg
Views: 762
Size:  7.01 MB
    Tahr, Pauli, Mooseman and 12 others like this.

Nice looking country

That's nice STEEP looking country
    sometimes1 likes this.

Cracker day and great looking goat country, nice place to be in.

Good spot for my bow by the looks. Great write up

with your super accurate .243 (they all are,arent they?)I would suggest try neck shooting when have stable/rested shot and take out front wheels when not so good. if you aim forwards its quicker still and allows a bit of drift etc with shot still being good clean killing shot as has something like 6" to drift backwards.
    EBRG are great for goats...surprised the heck out of me just how great they are.
    Synthetic likes this.

Looks a fun times. How are you going to cook them?

Sent from my SM-G390Y using Tapatalk

There must have been other coloured ones there. What have you got against black goats? Don't there lives matter☺ Only joking looks like a good bit of country.
    outlander, Synthetic and MAC like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    There must have been other coloured ones there. What have you got against black goats? Don't there lives matter☺ Only joking looks like a good bit of country.
    Moderator, moderator, moderator!!

Ive driven that road countless times over the years, always a few billies around. Never actually got out for as hunt though
    Synthetic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    with your super accurate .243 (they all are,arent they?)I would suggest try neck shooting when have stable/rested shot and take out front wheels when not so good. if you aim forwards its quicker still and allows a bit of drift etc with shot still being good clean killing shot as has something like 6" to drift backwards.
    EBRG are great for goats...surprised the heck out of me just how great they are.
    Sounds like a good idea with the neck shot. Any specific projectiles you'd recommend for the .243? Or will the common Hornady Interlock 100gr BTSP do the job? I'm thinking of trying out the new 64gr Sierra Game Changer in my 223 on goats, they sure are pretty looking projectiles.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve123 View Post
    Looks a fun times. How are you going to cook them?

Sent from my SM-G390Y using Tapatalk
    Made some dumplings this time, might try something different next time though.....

projectiles....was actually thinking you had made good choice right from the start...btsp Speers are soft...soft is good. goats arent solid animals so you want projectile to open up fast...not a complete blow up like true varmit pill but not far off.
    you could drop weight down to 80-90grns if you wanted... .223 you spoit for choice,dont see need for heavier than 55grns myself.
    pretty sure the hornady 87grn projectiles have good reputation on lighter body animals.
    no need for fancypants projectiles,goats ARENT hard to kill....
    Synthetic likes this.