Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Left Hand Shooters

I'm left handed and only buy and shoot left handed rifles/shotguns, including a LH BAR. For the semis I like having the safety in the right place and the empty not crossing my eye line (I shoot both eyes open). For the bolt guns, I LH action just feels so natural, both to work the action and to close the bolt on a deer
    If my work annoys me, I cull them

I am right handed but left eye dominant so shoot left handed. Haven't shot a left hand rifle before but don't have an issue with my right handed one.
    csmiffy likes this.

I shoot left handed after an eye injury about 4 years ago. Still use r h rifles.
    Boyds l h thumb hole stocks work well and pistol grip chassis types.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I shoot left handed after an eye injury about 4 years ago. Still use r h rifles.
    Boyds l h thumb hole stocks work well and pistol grip chassis types.
    You shoot left handed with a right hand thumb hole stock?
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Great thread idea.
    Left handed and left eye dominant, have both left and right hand actions in the safe, with left or ambi stocks. Right hand action I prefer if using off a rest or bipod, finger stays on the trigger and right hand works bolt, bloody fast once u get the hang of it.
    tetawa and tanqueray like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    You shoot left handed with a right hand thumb hole stock?
    No lh stock rh action.

Left handed and left eye dominant, but shoot right handed. I was taught to shoot by my grandfather a rather strict ex sgt who "encouraged" me to turn from the dark side
    I have shot proper lefties and some of my own rifles with stocks without combs or cast on occasion but it feels wrong and I spend too much time thinking and checking hold etc. After 40 odd years muscle memory is pretty hard wired by now.
    I shoot left eye closed but have been training myself since taking up trap shooting to work on both being open so far so so.

Left handed and left eye dominant, but shoot right handed. I was taught to shoot by my grandfather a rather strict ex sgt who "encouraged" me to turn from the dark side
    I have shot proper lefties and some of my own rifles with stocks without combs or cast on occasion but it feels wrong and I spend too much time thinking and checking hold etc. After 40 odd years muscle memory is pretty hard wired by now.
    I shoot left eye closed but have been training myself since taking up trap shooting to work on both being open so far so so.

singleshot break open Bakail...problem solved... blr lever problem solved...close offside eye problem solved.
    right eye dominant,right handed but can shoot southpaw if want to by closing right eye...have even shot clays this way...

My main niggle being a leftie is ue bloody safety on some rifles, my 10/22 is a prime candidate

lefty - never had a problem with right hand actions barring two .in TF days -bren gun -attempts to fire lefthanded look like a horny octopus trying to rape itself .the M16 -rear angle ejection-hot empty caught on bloodbucket strap in a range shoot -nice jawline scar! so like my shotgunning -throw shoulder forward on firing sees mts whiz past ye old face.
    give s me the screaming shits the ways leftie actions are priced 100---200 more than the other.
    very subtle form of discrimination IMHO.
    however recently fired gadgets youngsters (L)hand remington 7mmag-wow like driving a mclaren except for the noise and horror of horrors my pinpoint100m accuracy-I had compromised a lifetime of shooting devoted to spraying like a mad womans shit!! (apologies to Timerider /gadgetman for the tongue in cheek comment)

lefty - never had a problem with right hand actions barring two .in TF days -bren gun -attempts to fire lefthanded look like a horny octopus trying to rape itself .the M16 -rear angle ejection-hot empty caught on bloodbucket strap in a range shoot -nice jawline scar! so like my shotgunning -throw shoulder forward on firing sees mts whiz past ye old face.
    give s me the screaming shits the ways leftie actions are priced 100---200 more than the other.
    very subtle form of discrimination IMHO.
    however recently fired gadgets youngsters (L)hand remington 7mmag-wow like driving a mclaren except for the noise and horror of horrors my pinpoint100m accuracy-I had compromised a lifetime of shooting devoted to spraying like a mad womans shit!! (apologies to Timerider /gadgetman for the tongue in cheek comment)
    at end of day -whatever floats ya boat and brings home the bacon.

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    My main niggle being a leftie is ue bloody safety on some rifles, my 10/22 is a prime candidate
    I have the same gripe, even “ambidextrous” lever actions have this problem. Cross bolt and trigger guard safeties on late 1894 Winchesters and 1899 Savages are oriented for RH shooters.
    More meplat, more better.

I use my left hand thumb to move the safety on my Howa. Works quite comfortably. Depends where the safety is on different rifles I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by tanqueray View Post
    I’m left handed, shoot left handed but am right eye dominant, so have to close it. I have had left handed rifles, and they suit me better, both the action and the comb. All the classy old rifles are right handed, and those are what I own and shoot now, without issue.
    But most of all I prefer lever actions, which are generally ambidextrous, with the exception of the safeties on some.
    @tanqueray

Have you tried a pair of these, right offset mounting the scope?

May work for your shooting left shoulder, but aiming with right eye (helped by recoil pad lengthen shoulder stock stock for correct face position).
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch