Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Lost my virginity finally and got lucky twice in one day!

You had fully closed the bolt in the heat of the moment? if the bolt handle is sitting up even a small amount it can rob enough energy from the firing pin to cause a miss fire.

Do the missfired bullets and the fired cases from the same gun look similar on the primer dent?
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Hey I had a simlar issue last year had my gun for a long time its been mint never let me down then I got a few misfires luckly at just meat animals I thought crap going by the primers fireing pin must be getting worn out (primers looked simlar to your pic) so took it into Lindsay here in gore he looked at it & said looks fine must be the ammo , sure enough I biffed the miss fire box & have fired around 60-70 rounds since 0 problems I figered the primers must have been seated a little to deep I guess easy enough to do...good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    You had fully closed the bolt in the heat of the moment? if the bolt handle is sitting up even a small amount it can rob enough energy from the firing pin to cause a miss fire.

Do the missfired bullets and the fired cases from the same gun look similar on the primer dent?
    Name:  20161001_160854.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  1.04 MBName:  20161001_160859.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  694.3 KB

No smooth , just looks like that in the photo

Hi, it looks like your firing pin is not out far enough, should be a bit deeper pin strike indent in the primers. So if you can screw out the firing pin a bit should fix the problem. Or you have a bad batch of amo, re primers, I am using up the last of my old primers and have had three miss fires at the range, give those dud ones a second go, mine went the second time, Just my take on it ,Hombrew.357.
    Last edited by homebrew.357; 01-10-2016 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by matto1234 View Post
    The missfired ones do not look to have been hit as hard/deep which could be the result of not fully closing the bolt or many other things to Which is not very helpful but does suggest something random like shit in the bolt or action or an operational error rather than a weak spring or lack of pin protrusion which should be consistently week/shallow dents.

This of course is just guessing from a photo

Sent from my SM-G388F using Tapatalk
    Grim likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    The missfired ones do not look to have been hit as hard/deep which could be the result of not fully closing the bolt or many other things to Which is not very helpful but does suggest something random like shit in the bolt or action or an operational error rather than a weak spring or lack of pin protrusion which should be consistently week/shallow dents.

This of course is just guessing from a photo

I am under the impression that primers change when fired as they are pushed back into the bolt face with the pressure. The fired primers are pushed back and very flat while the misfired cases are still concave on the edges.

Quote Originally Posted by matto1234 View Post
    I am under the impression that primers change when fired as they are pushed back into the bolt face with the pressure. The fired primers are pushed back and very flat while the misfired cases are still concave on the edges.
    Yes.

northdude
    factory ammo or handloads

How can you judge depth when the primer hasnt been pushed back? Its impossible to tell if its the same or shallower depth on the fired cases as the primer has been pushed back into the pin? The previous owner purchased the box of 50 handloads from collins and bradey in wellington they are 150sst with 45 grain of powder.

The primer should be flush with the case head...if it is noticeably below flush that could well be the problem.

The primer is flush just not flat like the fired cases, any problem with me loading an empty case with a new primer and seeing what the hit is like? The primer will be a different brand of course

My primers are seated deeper than the purchased reloads but it went off sweet Name:  20161002_100229.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  994.3 KB
    veitnamcam likes this.

Any powder in the ones that didnt go off?

Id be tempted to shoot em all off at paper and start again, even just prime 50 and see if you can get a missfire.

There is definitely powder in them , i will still get the headspace checked out and i will see if i can borrow an inertia puller and try save the projectiles . Otherwise i will just shoot them off at the farm and load up my own