Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Mangamuka Hut

Was up the on the 23rd of Dec (my entry is the one in charcoal) spooked a hind coming east before the first stream, Went looking around the west side of the track, easy to go round in circles in there but heaps of areas of good sign. Along the track between the duck pond and the hut someone had got lucky. Second time exploring along the ridge west of the Track but no deer again this time not helped by getting caught up in a bit of that supplejack. Will Message you some waypoints.

Couldn’t agree more with Bagheera - don’t fight the supplejack, work with/around it. I go bush because I love being there, not to destroy it. Your DoC permit states that you shouldn’t modify/vandalise the flora. You’re taking time out to go deerstalking, not slashing your way through the jungle trying to track down the VC.
    sometimes likes this.

Gone but not forgotten
    I was in the southern end of the Kaimais on Friday and it was surprisingly dry (even though it was raining at the time). Some small streams were non-existant, and areas I was wading thru in July were dry underfoot. Rain radar today looked like it might have got a dumping though.
    StagRyan likes this.

Great time to get in there after a dump of rain. Camp away from the huts. Heaps of good campsite about
    StagRyan likes this.

Stag Ryan Ill keep an eye out for your entry.

And cheers. Ill check them out

Quote Originally Posted by StagRyan View Post
    Was up the on the 23rd of Dec (my entry is the one in charcoal) spooked a hind coming east before the first stream, Went looking around the west side of the track, easy to go round in circles in there but heaps of areas of good sign. Along the track between the duck pond and the hut someone had got lucky. Second time exploring along the ridge west of the Track but no deer again this time not helped by getting caught up in a bit of that supplejack. Will Message you some waypoints.
    I Saw you entry in the book, Cheers to who ever left the lantern in the hut its still there now but I did make good use of it. I headed to the swampy area in the north east of the hut and made my way through there till just before night fall, Slow going I forgot the damn secateurs Plenty of deer tracks throughout but it was mostly cutty grass and a shitload of supplejack, Slow and noise going, I sat down for a rest at one point in there and not long later I could here a strong consistent tapping against wood, Couldn't work it out but went to try investigate and it stopped. Possible deer? I did notice what seemed to be relatively fresh shit on my journey through there. The 'x' on google earth view was my starting point.

Name:  Earth view.JPG
Views: 393
Size:  123.5 KBName:  MapGPS.JPG
Views: 406
Size:  360.4 KB
    StagRyan likes this.

What sort of lantern? need to check my gear when I get home, and get out my GPS to grab those Way Points.

Quote Originally Posted by StagRyan View Post
    What sort of lantern? need to check my gear when I get home, and get out my GPS to grab those Way Points.
    Some inflatable solar powered one, It belongs to the hut now
    StagRyan likes this.

On the subject of supplejack! You don’t need cutters!
    If you look at how the plant grows you will find that is the weak link on how to get through.
    Obviously if it’s a huge plant go round.
    The trick is to look where it’s coming out of the ground, it’s base aim for that! As all its vines come up and away from there.
    So your bending them in the direction that there naturally bending, not fighting against the plant.
    Only took me two years to figure this out. Once you have the knack of it it’s like riding a bike.
    Then you can sneak through and find all the deer VC that you like.
    Better than RSI our tennis elbow from cutting. Plus look at the weight you save from not lugging those cutters around
    StagRyan likes this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

not mine to begin with