Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Meat during the roar

i always take the meat. The best venison i reckon are stags at the start of the roar but even during and after ive had some bloody nice tasting stags
    I always steak it, or stirfry it unless ive taken shoulder meat which normally goes in the croakpot or minced . Ive never ever taking just the backsteaks,(min both legs, backsteaks } if you not going to take the meat dont shoot it!! As hunting generally by myself if i shoot a stag way back and after i full the pack of meat, if its too much carrying out the meat and head i always take the meat before the head, no matter how good it is. I slash it somewhere and come back for the head at a later date.
    I just like the idea of deer running around the bush, and just seeing them while hunting makes it a good day. If im going to shoot one its the meat first or i reckenits just a waste of a good animal. doesnt matter if you give it away etc but i think its crimmal the guys that just take the backsteaks and they the tpye that would never hunt with me.
    Only shoot one a trip, thats all i can carry
    sometimes and kidmac42 like this.

R93
    I haven't shot a red deer during the roar since 2007, including this one.
    Get all my meat during late summer when the animals are in the best condition.
    Stags that have been doing a lot of running around during the rut and shot towards the end of April do not provide good chewing. Only good for giving away or salami I reckon.😆

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Get the "back wheels " Corned . Saves wasting a whole lot of meat
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by deer243 View Post
    i always take the meat. The best venison i reckon are stags at the start of the roar but even during and after ive had some bloody nice tasting stags
    I always steak it, or stirfry it unless ive taken shoulder meat which normally goes in the croakpot or minced . Ive never ever taking just the backsteaks,(min both legs, backsteaks } if you not going to take the meat dont shoot it!! As hunting generally by myself if i shoot a stag way back and after i full the pack of meat, if its too much carrying out the meat and head i always take the meat before the head, no matter how good it is. I slash it somewhere and come back for the head at a later date.
    I just like the idea of deer running around the bush, and just seeing them while hunting makes it a good day. If im going to shoot one its the meat first or i reckenits just a waste of a good animal. doesnt matter if you give it away etc but i think its crimmal the guys that just take the backsteaks and they the tpye that would never hunt with me.
    Only shoot one a trip, thats all i can carry
    I can confirm that

one shot last week was mud fat

Munsey, deer243 and Gibo like this.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Nothing wrong with stag meat, had some back steak last night off one we shot roaring thur, very tasty.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!