Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Must have Classic hunting books.

What about the harker series, I haven’t seen these mentioned here yet?
    erniec, Moa Hunter and Got-ya like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Inder View Post
    Just confirmed, Wife can transfer online so please send me your details via PM and I will send you the address.

Thanks

-Inder

Thanks @johnd wife just messaged, she got the book. Thanks for an effortless transaction. It did took a while to reach but I think that is new normal in these uncertain times.

-Inder
    johnd likes this.

The hunting rifle by Jack o Connor .

Hatcher's Notebook - a wealth of information if you use a rifle to hunt or compete.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    Wayne Blake was a very good author, as well as Bob Pittaway. 2 Dogs and a Rifle got me keen on hunting.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

My favourite is Along the Track by Bill Axbey.

Bos
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnwolf View Post
    Managed to amass my collection when the old man passed away, I’ve just put down Hunting in New Zealand, Dad bought it when it first came out in 1967.

Funny reading some of the stuff - like the idea that due to rabbit boards and poison ‘wallabies were on their way out’!
    They were mate
    There was a "Wallaby Destruction Board" based in Cave. Graeme Guildford was the Supervisor and the main methods were dogging, aerial 1080 pellets, and helicopter shooting in the winter on the snow.
    Numbers got very low but at significant cost, as you can imagine
    Micky Duck and Russian 22. like this.

@Bos, I worked on the Board towards the end prior to en vogue Roger Douglas amalgamation of bunny boards,wobbly board.catchment boards,etc, all in the name of greater efficiency,better results.We were down to around 2000 kills per annum (i.e. maintenance hunting programme)of all land between the Rangitata & the Waitaki.The feral range was not expanding at all.The outfit was run on a shoestring with no hangers on running around with a chipboard.However since those days its been a complete reversal of the population size and distribution despite run holders paying Ecan regional pest control rates annually.So maybe Sir Michael wasnt so smart after all but he still got a gong.I,d wage my left testie that every one of the concerned runholders would happily return to the days of paying an annual Wallaby Board targeted rate, and go tell ECAN to jam it.
    But never fear , Mizz sage is on the case paying ex Air New Zealand pilots as hired guns to rid Godzone of all pests by 2050 FFS

Death in the Long Grass - Peter Hathaway Capstick
    For a great overview of the early days of commercial venison recovery Brian Conroy’s first two books Helicopters and Venison, and Forgotten Years. Best two books I’ve read on this particular era. Well worth collecting as I think they are limited in numbers. Mine are both signed.
    Dying for a Living By Milton Kiri. Another great book. Live capture days in the central North Island. Tough tough man. Limited again and If signed by Milton worth having in your collection.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

i got onto those Rod and Rifle hunting legends Books, 1 and 2, fresh reprints or whatever, absolutely froffing an cant wait to retrace some footsteps !!!!!! <<<<<<3333333

any and all of Charlie Janes books....same for Brian Burdon....both were in the meat hunting era and both ends of it.....
    Ive got all of big Al Lesters books as well....a good chuckle but not as good as the older books.
    trademe is the place to find these types of book...last night something around the 467 listings,sure some of those are magazines but a fella could collect a hell of a lot in a hurry off there,some are ex library,some written in....some brand new.
    Carlson Highway wrote a plurry good book too. the NZ Hunting rifle......
    Frogfeatures likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ishoot10s View Post
    Classics...
    A Hunters Wanderings in Africa - Frederick Selous
    African Game Trails - Theodore Roosevelt
    Use Enough Gun - Robert Ruark
    Interesting surname
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Have a large collection and agree with all so far
    A good modern one I thoroughly enjoyed is “the bushwhackers “
    By dean Taylor pretty much exclusively on Stewart Island covering late 70’s to the new millennium
    Well written and some great humour pretty much epitomises the great experience that a trip to the southern isle provides