Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Navigation with compass and map

Myk
    Dont play with my emotions Shooter?!!!!!

Yea I would differently make the trip out your way....I'm super keen for a day or a two dayer. What ever suits you!!!....and yes I agree to actual hands on practice.

I also forgot to say thank you to ebf for the help!!!.
    Remember at the end of the day........it's night time

ebf
    Really not all that hard to practise triangulation.

If you live in an urban environment, take bearings off any of the following:

railway stations
    radio masts
    trig beacons
    points where power lines cross known roads
    highway overpasses
    in hilly suburbs you'll often find roads run thru saddles

and in the bush, different strategies depending on if you have clear line of sight... in dense stuff, practise walking on a bearing, an learn how long it takes to cover different types of terrain. count stream crossings, forks in the track (within reason - remember that streams can be dry, and some side tracks are not indicated on a map) etc.

on rigelines and on the tops where you have clear line of sight, different strategy applies.

each has its own pitfalls - very easy to take the wrong ridgeline coming off a peak, and walking a bearing in dense bush is probably one of the hardest things to do...
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

LBD
    Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    Awful generous, but I'm happy to do it for nothing

There is an off chance LBD is an engineer.
    Its that obvious?... I have spent years trying to mask the symptoms and hide from the social stigma...

Actually not quite an engineer in the graduate engineer sense....although I do suffer from similar foibles.
    Grim and Pengy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk View Post
    Dont play with my emotions Shooter?!!!!!

Yea I would differently make the trip out your way....I'm super keen for a day or a two dayer. What ever suits you!!!....and yes I agree to actual hands on practice.

I also forgot to say thank you to ebf for the help!!!.
    Will flick you a PM then mate.
    Gibo likes this.
    "Professionals are predictable but the world is full of dangerous amateurs"

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    30m is heaps!

Work object to object. Hold the compass in your hand, find an object as far away as possible on the bearing you are walking, walk to it. Find the next object. Go to it. In this way you can walk an arrow straight line across country reasonably quickly.

It goes to pieces when you start guestimating "I think I was a bit to the right off...." or when you get too finicky and waste five minutes at every station (object). Just get the hang of holding it up, chosing a point, walking to it. After a while you don't slow down.
    So how do you multi task navigating like that and hunting at the same time? I've seen a guy in the kaimais with a compass strapped to the side of his butt. That intrigued me how effective it wouled be.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusky View Post
    So how do you multi task navigating like that and hunting at the same time? I've seen a guy in the kaimais with a compass strapped to the side of his butt. That intrigued me how effective it wouled be.
    Depending on how close it is to metal bits. Not very, also probably not usefull if trying to get a bearing off a map/onto a map
    Pengy and Rusky like this.

I suspect that guy is on here
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    I do lots of circles mate Sit, scratch head, and do a bigger circle My compass, map and GPS gets me close enough to get where I'm going.
    A week ago in the Kaimanawas I stayed at a clearing that was a 40 min bush bash to a river and on the other side was the track. Pretty simple. I stayed until 30 min of light was left put gps on and made a fast paced walk through bush to said river. I always underestimate how dark the bush gets when light is fading. I then thought of the consequences of that GPS failing and how good I would be at finding my way out via a compass in the dark. Id say I could do it, but not very quickly and not with complete confidence. Im gonna have to give the compass some more practice and put the GPS in my pack as a last resort. Leaving the GPS on in your jacket plotting your trail and navigating via a compass/map marking your course as you go would be a worth while exercise.
    Grim and kmak like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    I suspect that guy is on here
    Not you is it? I swear I've seen a picture on here before of the same setup from a Kaimai post.

Mohawk660??
    Pengy likes this.

K95
    I don't know if I'm the odd ball but I almost never use a compass. Used one on the tops in a whiteout to get a general idea but can't remember too many other times. I've always found it easy enough to figure where I am from memory or a map alone.

Even if you're using a GPS be very very careful of your rifle barrel or knife. It throws it out something wicked.
    Rusky likes this.
    "Treat the Earth well. It was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Mohawk660??
    That's the one
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    If you live in an urban environment, take bearings off any of the following:
    trig beacons
    What kind of weirdo would triangulate bearings off trig beacons?
    ebf and Rusky like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusky View Post
    A week ago in the Kaimanawas I stayed at a clearing that was a 40 min bush bash to a river and on the other side was the track. Pretty simple. I stayed until 30 min of light was left put gps on and made a fast paced walk through bush to said river. I always underestimate how dark the bush gets when light is fading. I then thought of the consequences of that GPS failing and how good I would be at finding my way out via a compass in the dark. Id say I could do it, but not very quickly and not with complete confidence. Im gonna have to give the compass some more practice and put the GPS in my pack as a last resort. Leaving the GPS on in your jacket plotting your trail and navigating via a compass/map marking your course as you go would be a worth while exercise.
    The trick that I use when trying to find my way back is stop every once in a while on the way out and look at the view of the track from the way back then try to look for waypoints about every 30 paces or so

Works for me
    Grim likes this.

I recently wrote up a few techniques on another forum - heres the link

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 - Navigation with Map and Compass