Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Neckshot placement

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    A few years back I suggested trading in my well used 40 year old missus on two brand new 20 year olds. The idea (which I thought was a master stroke of genius) was met with a great deal of resistance at the time.
    It was a master stroke of something mate.
    I will try it and see how I go. My cook is 39-40ish?
    If I go quiet it didn't go so well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    graham99 likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi39 View Post
    does your missus know that you're going to practice on goats ??

You might find you're better off practicing on girls .. I hear Rushy might have a coupla 20 year olds that are now surplus to requirements

Tim
    Yeah Phil can have em.....20 year olds have no skills yet. Dirty 30's is where its at!!

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi39 View Post
    does your missus know that you're going to practice on goats ??

You might find you're better off practicing on girls .. I hear Rushy might have a coupla 20 year olds that are now surplus to requirements

Tim
    Tim they both got jobs as an au pair. In fact one (the more well endowed) got a job as an au whata pair.
    redbang, kiwi39 and Gibo like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    It will depend on what angle the deer is standing relative to your line of sight and which part of the neck you can see clearly after identifying your target.

A Deers neck is the absolute last place i would aim to kill a Deer.
    Yep , always in the shoulder crease back towards the middle. Dumps them

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    I go top of neck. Instant kill or miss.
    Its a shot i mostly take with animal facing me lookin at me .

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    That's the money shot right there, like in this video

I'm not a huge fan of neck shots myself, done plenty of them but with mixed results. Anywhere between the ear and eye is best, atlas joint is another great place or finally the neck if those aforementioned areas aren't available for a clear shot for minimal meat damage.

kj
    kiwijames likes this.

Cant get the video to work? Sent me to 600+ of your photobucket uploads?

Its of a goat dropping like a sack of shit and hanging its self in a tree to make it easier to gut/skin and butcher. If only deer had the courtesy to do that
    kiwi39 and Sniper like this.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Iv witnessed too many horrible fails on head shots to do them unless its the only shot and only then if side on or facing away.

outdoorlad likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Iv witnessed too many horrible fails on head shots to do them unless its the only shot and only then if side on or facing away.

Fair enough, that what its all about - knowing what works for you and is within your own personal comfort zone to do with the consistency the animal deserves.

kj

I prefer neck shots over head shots, as KJ says whatever you're comfortable with, generally in the bush & close, quite often thats all thats on offer when an animal is looking at you, either the top or base of the neck. I try to avoid them on rutted up stags when their necks are swelled up, having fooked one up years ago.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

I always laugh when I here of head shots being the be all end all ! We where lucky enough to sneek up on some pigs sleeping in afternoon sun , my mate decided to get all fancy on it and head shoot ( long shot) myself aim for boiler room . Mine never woke ,flattened it. my mates jumped about 3 feet in air( like a head shot rabbit). It was dead but bounced and subsequently rolled into a smelly muddy swamp , and wriggled about to get completely covered in the black smelly mud . He had the most uncomfortable carry and got give absolute arseholes from me
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Gibo, no offence, but instead of practicing on "goats", get your .22 out and practice on cans and targets, and if you can, shoot as many rabbits and possums as possible. Do it in a controlled fashion, aiming for a specific kill spot over and over. Aim small, to hit an aimed for point, not "at the general target" or "the big bit". To become confident in bullet placement and being a consistent accurate shot you need to practice sending pills down the tube.

I realise you're not going to go out and willy-nilly shoot at goats, but rather than worry about where you should aim on an animal, worry about sending the bullet exactly where you want it to go. To kill a deer you know you need to hit it vitally, or in the brain or break its neck, and you should be able to determine whether a kill shot is on offer or not the second you see that animal. With new hunters I always tell them to wait for a clear kill shot before sending the bullet. If it means we lose an animal then so be it, it's better than a tracking a wounded one for hours or in the worst case losing it.

I now shoot the majority of my deer with a 223 (up to several a month) and will confidently neck or head shoot a deer out to, and in good conditions 200m, from various stances and with the deer on various angles. Depending on range and angle of the animal I will either aim for the base of the neck, behind the animals ear, below its face, back of the head etc. Any further than that range or if I am not confident, comfortable, the animal won't stop or the weather conditions don't allow it I either won't shoot and will stalk closer or I will let the animal walk, or if I'm hunting an area with longer ranges I'll take a bigger calibre and hilar shoot.

The only reason I feel confident to take these shots is because I use my rifle almost daily and know exactly where it shoots, and know what I am personally capable of. I have never gone for a neck or head shot and wounded a deer, and the only deer I have wounded and lost have been ones when I have rushed a chest shot on that animal.
    Shearer likes this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    Gibo, no offence, but instead of practicing on "goats", get your .22 out and practice on cans and targets, and if you can, shoot as many rabbits and possums as possible. Do it in a controlled fashion, aiming for a specific kill spot over and over. Aim small, to hit an aimed for point, not "at the general target" or "the big bit". To become confident in bullet placement and being a consistent accurate shot you need to practice sending pills down the tube.

I realise you're not going to go out and willy-nilly shoot at goats, but rather than worry about where you should aim on an animal, worry about sending the bullet exactly where you want it to go. To kill a deer you know you need to hit it vitally, or in the brain or break its neck, and you should be able to determine whether a kill shot is on offer or not the second you see that animal. With new hunters I always tell them to wait for a clear kill shot before sending the bullet. If it means we lose an animal then so be it, it's better than a tracking a wounded one for hours or in the worst case losing it.

I now shoot the majority of my deer with a 223 (up to several a month) and will confidently neck or head shoot a deer out to, and in good conditions 200m, from various stances and with the deer on various angles. Depending on range and angle of the animal I will either aim for the base of the neck, behind the animals ear, below its face, back of the head etc. Any further than that range or if I am not confident, comfortable, the animal won't stop or the weather conditions don't allow it I either won't shoot and will stalk closer or I will let the animal walk, or if I'm hunting an area with longer ranges I'll take a bigger calibre and hilar shoot.

The only reason I feel confident to take these shots is because I use my rifle almost daily and know exactly where it shoots, and know what I am personally capable of. I have never gone for a neck or head shot and wounded a deer, and the only deer I have wounded and lost have been ones when I have rushed a chest shot on that animal.
    Cheers Josh appreciate the advice,

I am not saying I dont know how to shoot or that I am not confident in where my slug will go, what I was asking for was "where" in the neck do you aim to kill as I have never done it.
    I will take a hilar shot when available everytime but wanted to expand my options.
    JoshC likes this.

R93
    It was on average $2.00 a kilo difference between a clean shot (head-neck) or body shot deer. Clean shot fetching the higher price obviously.
    It sucked carting animals out of the scrub that you could have made another hundy on, if you clean shot it.
    So it paid to gain confidence in clean shooting animals. It is to this day the only shot I will take on a deer within 200. I may once in a blue moon tuck one in behind the ribs of a young animal if it is moving. You don't have to break its neck to kill it, but it helps.
    I have missed shitloads over the years but that goes with the territory.
    If you are having no troubles shooting the big bits I would just keep doing it.
    I prefer clean shots for a number of reasons, the finished product without doubt, is better if shooting for the table, for one.
    Gibo likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Cheers R93, good advice and info.