Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Hermitage
  • 1 Post By kwg
  • 1 Post By longshot
  • 1 Post By kwg

Thread: Need rabbits in Tauranga area

kwg

Need rabbits in Tauranga area

Hi, I live in the Tauranga area and every year at this time I need to get a few rabbits for a lab for Vet Nurse training. They're learning about the rabbits digestive system. I've been advised to get the rabbits in summer in the future but I urgently need to get the rabbits in the next few days for this years' lab and it's proving to be a bit of a challenge. Would anyone in the area be willing to try and nab me a couple of bunnies in the ext couple of days? Cheers

Here you go: https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketpl...8?bof=HKa9RasD

And it's not so bad...just think he gave the ultimate gift to future generations of pet rabbits.
    By donating his body to science he's allowed veterinary researchers to practice and create new techniques that continue to save the pets in our lives.
    rugerman and yeah_na_missed like this.
    A good job and a good wife has been the ruin of many a good hunter.

@kwg

I am heading up your way on the weekend, I usually shoot at least a handful of rabbits any given week. If the weather plays the game I should be able to bring you some if the weekend isn’t too late for you?

I assume head shot rabbits is the preference but if chest shot is needed to make up the numbers would they be of any use?

Also is frozen whole in a ziplock bag the best way to store them until delivery?.

Chances are someone local will come through with the goods but answers to the above will be useful to everyone.

kwg
    Thanks @longshot. I was needing them for Thurs afternoon but it looks like a good idea to store in my freezer when I can get, for the next lab so yeah I'm happy to take a few if you get them. Head shots best, but any shot that doesn't make a mess of the body cavity would be OK. And I'm also happy to take it in a ziplock bag and frozen.

kwg
    Thanks for the suggestion @Hermitage. I did have a look at TradeMe yesterday but it's an option I'll try and avoid. Might traumatize the more sensitive students.
    Hermitage likes this.

Gone but not forgotten
    You could try the BOP NZDA, they put out a call for rabbits about a week ago for an organisation wanting them for baiting traps. They may be able to spare a couple, (especially if they get the carcasses back afterwards).
    Contact – Bay of Plenty NZDA

kwg
    Thanks Cigar, I sent them a message today so we'll see what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    You could try the BOP NZDA, they put out a call for rabbits about a week ago for an organisation wanting them for baiting traps. They may be able to spare a couple, (especially if they get the carcasses back afterwards).
    Contact – Bay of Plenty NZDA
    If you return the carcasses cut into the right sized shapes for trap baiting, they will probably be glad to lend them to you. The trick is to find out what size morsel a trap needs and how many traps get re-baited at a time and then freeze the morsels in that number +5%.
    Saves having to defrost too big of a meat pack to do one-two lines.
    kwg likes this.

kwg
    Hey guys thanks for your help. I have two rabbits now so OK for this time. @longshot I'm happy to take a couple of the rabbits you knock off to freeze for next year.
    erniec likes this.

Tauranga, although back home to the mainland sometime
    I see heaps on Totara street, near the port haha Little fuckers just chilling on the side of the road.