Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: New to Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by tui_man2 View Post
    What are you wanting to hunt? Don't know about animal numbers been low? Seen 7 red skins last night before dark bit far for the wife to have a smack

Shit loads of goats most places to
    Different story if its private land..heaps of deer in lots of private blocks around here. In well hunted Doc blocks where most have either had a good bombing or are going thur a good bombing of 1080 the deer numbers are certainly lower than many places elsewhere. I head out quite often, doing 8 hour plus days searching for deer around the region in DOC blocks. Signs not high, certainly in the many places I go. Still, I see or get a deer every 3 trips on average but sometimes its the only sign I see hunting all day but ive tracked it down. Of cause im day hunting, if you fly camped or headed further back and stayed in places like the head of the lakes etc you see a lot more deer but I do ok as getting out there is what matters and getting a animal is a bonus.

Animal numbers have certainly decreased in the last 3 or 4 years in the blocks ive been hunting , either because of hunting pressure by others, 1080 or by the animals ive been getting as some blocks ive done quite well. I now go somewhere new every 3 trip, looking for the pot of gold but genrally finding low deer sign(if any) and if im lucky I get a deer in the new block in 3-5 trips in and then head somewhere else new and so forth.
    Doc blocks are certainly feeling the effects of the 1080, illeagal spotlighting around here and increase pressure of extra hunters. Still, the key is get of the beaten track, head up ridges and places that aren't so easy, where others may not be so keen to go and generally you still find some sign and after you been back a few times to work out the area you tend to see a deer and get one ok
    Kiwi Greg and mikee like this.

Quote Originally Posted by deer243 View Post
    Different story if its private land..heaps of deer in lots of private blocks around here. In well hunted Doc blocks where most have either had a good bombing or are going thur a good bombing of 1080 the deer numbers are certainly lower than many places elsewhere. I head out quite often, doing 8 hour plus days searching for deer around the region in DOC blocks. Signs not high, certainly in the many places I go. Still, I see or get a deer every 3 trips on average but sometimes its the only sign I see hunting all day but ive tracked it down. Of cause im day hunting, if you fly camped or headed further back and stayed in places like the head of the lakes etc you see a lot more deer but I do ok as getting out there is what matters and getting a animal is a bonus.

Animal numbers have certainly decreased in the last 3 or 4 years in the blocks ive been hunting , either because of hunting pressure by others, 1080 or by the animals ive been getting as some blocks ive done quite well. I now go somewhere new every 3 trip, looking for the pot of gold but genrally finding low deer sign(if any) and if im lucky I get a deer in the new block in 3-5 trips in and then head somewhere else new and so forth.
    Doc blocks are certainly feeling the effects of the 1080, illeagal spotlighting around here and increase pressure of extra hunters. Still, the key is get of the beaten track, head up ridges and places that aren't so easy, where others may not be so keen to go and generally you still find some sign and after you been back a few times to work out the area you tend to see a deer and get one ok
    Same around here bud, could not have put it better myself,working my sorry old arse off lately.