Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree141Likes

Thread: New record, strange head

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Supply and demand. Plain and simple.
    Correct, but pretty disgusting, to me.
    Shame on the hunter wanting to take such a stag ( I won't use the description "trophy" ). Shame on the outfitter wanting to make such a Frankenstein available to be shot ( not hunted ). Simply embarrassing to the hunting culture and industry in this country.
    But it's legal, so what do I know.
    Pengy and Micky Duck like this.

Douglas scorers nightmare.

Looks like a Venator stag.

They normally die from the weight when in Valvet. Jusy from my quick look, it looks like some of those points up in the royals could be measured back down to the bur (rather than back into the crown like normal) as you can see it naturally forming from the bur up, which would double the score on those points straight away. Compare the below with the original.

Name:  Strange red head~2.jpeg
Views: 450
Size:  207.1 KB
    Micky Duck likes this.

Not a pretty sight,shouldv been shot long ago.
    wtd likes this.

Certainly not my cup of tea, but we all aren't the same so each to there own.
    7mmwsm and Cigar like this.

I think the precedent record shot with a crossbow just before covid lockdown was prettier .
    This one looks like coming from a Netflix Medieval fantastic movie.
    Micky Duck and MB like this.

Not a nice classic head at all.
    But, Each one like that brings in a 6 figure amount of Tourist dollars to the country and thats something a government has to pay attention to.
    They talk about 1x high value tourist rather than 1000 penny pinching backpackers cluttering up the place.
    veitnamcam and timattalon like this.

Could it be a desease? Or infection?
    Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
    https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y

Ugly.

Absolute ripper 🤣🤣I’ve changed my view on this and only see it for good, money for the economy, portrays nz as a world class trophy hunting holiday destination $$$$ and we sure need $ right now.
    Moa Hunter and Sideshow like this.

NRT
    Got me amping for the ROAR

Sent from my Nokia X20 using Tapatalk

Bring back the Irish elk. Would need a couple of young fellah to carry the load.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post
    I dont have any issue but one - the "hunter" has to be fully aware that he is about to shoot a farm-bred stag that has been released into a bigger enclosure for the specific purpose of being shot.

But they arent , are they????
    Surprisingly, most are aware, very aware. In the case of the US hunters in particular, they see a high fence as no different to them having private access or owning a farm that has its own resident population of game, particularly if they are resident during the hunting season. They pay big money for access to those properties, or they buy it. May be 60 acres, maybe 600. But they have very strict trespass laws and pretty much have that property and its resident deer, to themselves.......just like out high fence operations here in NZ. Not saying its right, but thats the way they see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldbloke View Post
    Could it be a desease? Or infection?
    no its not disease of infection - its in breeding at its worst mixed highly likely with a lot of supplements - let out of intense breeding farm into a larger paddock night before - now I understand they get these stags into darkroom while they are growing out their velvet and stuff supplements down their throat - could be way to much calcium or similar sparked massive growth spurt during velvet growth to produce such a monstrosity dont know - or just great feed and line breeding - there are hunters from overseas who demand free range fair chase others dont care - I know of one stag shot in a holding paddock alongside darkroom by client with a bow - yup hunted this down in nooozeland (excuse accent)- my guide mate said one did have to work bloody hard to satisfy clients - client would be sucking on a cold one in lodge after shooting stag just on dark - him and his mate are out sweating up a storm getting a 400lb stag out complete with head so client can pose with it in morning - sometimes midnight or worse before getting home - and then up at 4 to do it all again - one just hopes they pay a lot and spend even more
    Micky Duck likes this.

Maybe if this wasn't called hunting I would have no issue,but it is total embarrassment to see this and have it referred to as hunting.
    Good as gold as a money spinning business but needs to be called big game shooting or something like that.
    Oldbloke likes this.